help setting up drag drop vm box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JOJOHUMTHUNT

help setting up drag drop vm box

Post by JOJOHUMTHUNT »

I have just loaded vmbox 6.0 and want to exchange files between host running win 11 and vm running win 7. also so loaded vm workstation 16 player. i cant figure ot how to get these to share and see the others data drives. several online answers do not match the options i see. thanks for the help!! John
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: help setting up drag drop vm box

Post by scottgus1 »

JOJOHUMTHUNT wrote:vmbox 6.0 ... host running win 11
That's "Virtualbox", not 'vmbox'. :wink:

W11 is really new, and 6.1.30 would probably be a lot more compatible.

Drag-n-drop requires Guest Additions installed inside the VM's OS.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
JOJOHUMTHUNT wrote:also so loaded vm workstation 16 player
You may not be able to get drag-n-drop to work between a Virtualbox VM and a VMware Player VM.

Using regular shared folders over a network, just like you'd use between several real networked computers, would work between the host, a Virtualbox VM and a VMware Player VM. VirtualBox's Bridged will get the Virtualbox VM on the physical LAN with the host. VMware probably has a 'bridged' setting too.