VirtualBox Kills Windscribe VPN's Auto-Connect Feature

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
colforbin

VirtualBox Kills Windscribe VPN's Auto-Connect Feature

Post by colforbin »

Hello,

I've searched the forums, googled, contacted Windscribe, and now I'm reaching out here.

I use a VPN service called Windscribe. Windscribe has a feature called Auto-Connect. As the name suggests, if you launch Windscribe, it will auto-connect to a server.

Without the Virtualbox program started, and without any virtual machines running, if the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter is enabled in Windows 10's Network Connections, Windscribe will not auto-connect. If I disable the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, then Windscribe's auto-connect feature works.

I've been stumped over this for several months, and cannot find an answer. Can anyone help, please?

I thank you for your time.
AndyCot

Re: VirtualBox Kills Windscribe VPN's Auto-Connect Feature

Post by AndyCot »

Sounds like a routing issue. Check out "route print" and see if one of the routes is not right.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Do you ever use the host only adapter? If you don't need it, there is an option when you install VirtualBox to not install the host only adapter.
Bill
colforbin

Post by colforbin »

Thanks @AndyCot & @BillG. I will look into both of those tomorrow.

For now, I have a workaround for this. I created a task in the Windows 10 Task Scheduler. It disables the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, at system startup.

Then, I created a batch script that enables the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter, and launches VirtualBox.

So, the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter is always disabled at system startup, allowing Windscribe to Auto-Connect. And, when I launch my batch script, the adapter gets enabled and VirtualBox launches.

I've got an open ticket with Windscibe's support. If I hear anything relevant from them, I'll be sure to post here.

Thanks again.
colforbin

Post by colforbin »

@AndyCot,

I changed the priority order in Windows 10, so my wifi adapter (the adapter I primarily use) is higher than the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. This works!

However, there's another issue which I believe is on the Windscribe VPN client's side. If I choose to use WireGuard as the protocol, then it takes Windscribe about 30 seconds to connect. If I choose IKEv2, then it only takes 2-3 seconds. As I mentioned previously, I'm in touch with Windscribe's support, and hopefully they can help me figure something out.

In any case, I wanted to thank @AndyCot & @BillG for your replies. Much appreciated!