Unable to restore saved state (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
logicallyblonde
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Kali Linux

Unable to restore saved state (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH)

Post by logicallyblonde »

Trying to start the machine from its Saved state but I'm getting yet again another error. (This things errors out on me at least 3x a week)
----------------------------------------

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Kali-Linux-2021.1-vbox-amd64.

apic#0: Config mismatch - uApicMode: saved=2 config=3 [ver=5 pass=final] (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
BillG
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Unable to restore saved state (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH)

Post by BillG »

Does it boot normally if you delete the saved state then start it?

Is it really worth using saved states? Does the bit of time you save make a real difference to your life?
Bill
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Saved States depend on the host hardware and Virtualbox version that was present when the VM was save-stated to still be present when the VM is restored.
logicallyblonde wrote:This things errors out on me at least 3x a week
We'd need to know what is changing on your host/Virtualbox when the error is happening. Also check that your host has enough free RAM to start the VM again.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Please reproduce the issue and post a zipped copy of the VBox.log file.
logicallyblonde

I've attached the log file below
Attachments
vbox-amd64-12061421-Log.zip
recreated error logs file
(30.35 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for the vbox-amd64-12061421-Log.txt file. I understand the log messages and the current state, but do not understand how you were able to get there. The saved state contains a setting that is preset when creating a VM, dependent on the chosen OS type and version. But while the VM is in the saved state, those settings cannot be modified by the VirtualBox Manager. Did you change the OS type and version setting after creating the VM for the first time?

Independent on your answer, I'd suggest to discard the saved state from within the VirtualBox Manager (e.g. Machine > Discard Saved State...). I'll tell you what you will lose and what not via an example:

If you start a VM, install some software, open a text editor, type some text without saving it, close the VM with saving its state, discard the saved state and start the VM again, you'll have lost the text in the text editor, but not the installed software. Simplified speaking, it's comparable to a power loss during working with a PC. Everything on disk is kept, everything only in memory (RAM) is lost.

If the content of the VM is important to you, you should have a backup anyway, just in case.
logicallyblonde

Only thing that was changed since first creating it was when the 6.1.28 update came out and was causing a bunch of problems so to fix that I rolled back to 6.1.26. I just now got a notification for an update to 6.1.30, maybe if I delete the saved state and then update? Either way, I'm going to go ahead and delete the saved state and see if it will allow me to start it up again without the update.
logicallyblonde

fth0 wrote:Thanks for the vbox-amd64-12061421-Log.txt file. I understand the log messages and the current state, but do not understand how you were able to get there. The saved state contains a setting that is preset when creating a VM, dependent on the chosen OS type and version. But while the VM is in the saved state, those settings cannot be modified by the VirtualBox Manager. Did you change the OS type and version setting after creating the VM for the first time?

Independent on your answer, I'd suggest to discard the saved state from within the VirtualBox Manager (e.g. Machine > Discard Saved State...). I'll tell you what you will lose and what not via an example:

If you start a VM, install some software, open a text editor, type some text without saving it, close the VM with saving its state, discard the saved state and start the VM again, you'll have lost the text in the text editor, but not the installed software. Simplified speaking, it's comparable to a power loss during working with a PC. Everything on disk is kept, everything only in memory (RAM) is lost.

If the content of the VM is important to you, you should have a backup anyway, just in case.
Discarding the saved state, rebooted the system and all is working again without having to update to 6.1.30. Thank You! :D
Last edited by mpack on 10. Dec 2021, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Make marked up text visible
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

>You're welcome!< :)