[Solved] Installation VirtualBox Extension Pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
pietrek

[Solved] Installation VirtualBox Extension Pack

Post by pietrek »

Hello.
At installation "VirtualBox 5.1.22 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack" I get this error. What can it be and how to solve it ??

Code: Select all

The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to rename the temporary directory to the final one: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-_-inst-4928' -> 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack') 
rcExit=1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
Last edited by socratis on 3. Mar 2019, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Installation VirtualBox Extension Pack

Post by scottgus1 »

Reboot your host, and make sure you have no Virtualbox processes automatically running at boot or log-in.

Then open the main Virtualbox window, then go to the File menu, Preferences, Extensions, click the little yellow down-pointing triangle, and pick the Extension Pack.

If you have any errors, close the main Virtualbox window, then re-open it by right-clicking its icon and choosing "Run As Administrator". Try the Extension pack install again as above. If the Extension Pack installs without error, close the main Virtualbox window then re-open it normally, not with Run-As-Admin.

If you still get errors, post back and we'll try another idea.
pietrek

Post by pietrek »

The above solution helped on one machine, while on the other I have an error:

Code: Select all

Failed to install the Extension Pack C:/Users/Marta1/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-5.1.22-115126.vbox-extpack.

The installer failed with exit code 1: VBoxExtPackHelperApp.exe: error: Failed to rename the temporary directory to the final one: VERR_ACCESS_DENIED ('C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-_-inst-2392' -> 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ExtensionPacks\Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack')

rcExit=1.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

pietrek wrote:The above solution helped on one machine, while on the other I have an error
That error is the same as in your previous post. What happened in machine A that didn't work in machine B? Compare the permissions of the directories (and their subdirectories) in "'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox" for both your computers.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

I've seen some reports with similar problems where an on-access antivirus scanner was still accessing the file.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Good call Martin!!! I completely forgot about that one. It was McAfee if I'm not mistaken...

EDIT: ... among other things.
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15625
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7972
viewtopic.php?f=6&p=187507
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Good point on AV possibly interfering, Martin! Gonna add that to the fix list.

Pietrek, if deactivating AV does not allow the Extension Pack to be installed on the still-erroring host, let us know. There's a manual way to install the E.P.
pietrek

Post by pietrek »

Disabling real-time scanning in McAfee helped.

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank Martin! ;)
I'll mark the thread as [Solved].
otheus

Re: [Solved] Installation VirtualBox Extension Pack

Post by otheus »

I hate to resurrect the dead, but this problem is actually a problem: a non-admin user may update the VirtualBox software itself as a UAC escalation event is triggered and the user can log in as an admin, but the extension pack (1) _does not_ trigger a UAC escalation, (2) there is no way to install the extension pack from Windows itself (with run-as Admin), and three, the software should either allow one of the two things, or inform the user _before hand_ that the extension back requires Admin privileges.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If the user can enter the admin password when the Virtualbox installer pops the UAC box, the user can right-click the main Virtualbox icon for Run-as-Admin to install the EP, because he/she has the admin password.
otheus wrote:(2) there is no way to install the extension pack from Windows itself (with run-as Admin)
Point 2 is not correct. Right-click offers Run-as-Admin for the main Virtualbox window.
Zion1268

Post by Zion1268 »

I am getting this error

Failed to install the Extension Pack C:/Users/warma/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.1.6.vbox-extpack.

Vboxectpackregister returned
Verr_Version_missmatch

Please help
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I would have thought that this...
Zion1268 wrote: Verr_Version_missmatch
.. was enough of a clue? Extension pack and host software versions must match.

Speaking of software versions... AFAIK there is no such thing as VirtualBox 6.1.1.6. There is such a thing as VirtualBox 6.1.16. Did you manually retype the error message? I guess so, since VERR_xxxx error codes are always in full caps. No matter, but the error dialog probably had a "Copy" button on it to copy the error text to the clipboard, allowing you to paste it into a forum post. That would remove any potential for confusion or doubt caused by typos.
Walter Baeck

Post by Walter Baeck »

scottgus1 wrote:Good point on AV possibly interfering, Martin! Gonna add that to the fix list.

Pietrek, if deactivating AV does not allow the Extension Pack to be installed on the still-erroring host, let us know. There's a manual way to install the E.P.
Just reviving this thread to mention what this "manual way" actually is.
I got the VERR_ACCESS_DENIED error that everyone else is also struggling with ( see also topic 90860 ),
and consensus seems to be that the antivirus is the cause of this problem. I'm in a corporate environment, fortunately with Admin privileges on my computer,
but without any control over the McAfee + Cortex XDR which are always on. So I had to figure out by myself how to install the Extension Pack (v6.0.16).

It's easier than I anticipated. The .vbox-extpack file that can be freely downloaded, is actually just a .tar.gz archive.
The unpacked contents of this archive should be placed in subdirectory ExtensionPacks of the VirtualBox installation directory.
I was half expecting a need to modify the Windows Registry, or some config files within VirtualBox, to complete the installation,
but lo and behold, VirtualBox ran immediately with the newly added capabilities, no further twiddling required.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yes, Walter, that's the manual method! Congrats for figuring it out!