Can't start new VB -- Windows.iso is inaccessible and is being ignored

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
CactusWren

Can't start new VB -- Windows.iso is inaccessible and is being ignored

Post by CactusWren »

I have created a new VM, and this is the message I get when I start it:
The image file 'C:\Users\micha\Documents\Windows.iso' is inaccessible and is being ignored. Please select a different image file for the virtual DVD drive..
Along with a black screen and a message that no bootable medium is found.

Here are the steps to reproduce:
1. I had an existing VB with a Windows VM (that I was having an obscure timing problem on and couldn't fix)
2. Moved the VM to a new SDD
3. Updated VB by reinstalling
4. Made a new VM according to a tutorial (that I can't post yet, but it's called "How to Install Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine" on Extremetech.
5. Downloaded the Windows 10 installation media tool, selecting "using the tool to create installation media."
6. Selected "ISO" file

Which brings us to the error message.

The Windows.iso file is 4.5GB and I can see it in the Downloads folder.
CactusWren

Re: Can't start new VB -- Windows.iso is inaccessible and is being ignored

Post by CactusWren »

Okay, I found a solution. I followed the Mount ISO to a virtual machine with VirtualBox Manager at (another link I can't post, but it's at pureinfotechDOTcom, "How to mount ISO on a virtual machine on VirtualBox."
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This one was a puzzle, glad you got it figured out. A helpful and official tutorial is section 1 of the Virtualbox manual.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The original error message seems straightforward to me, not requiring access to any tutorial. Just make sure that any ISO mounted in the VM exists in a location accessible to the currently logged in user.

The only way this message could arise is if the ISO was deleted or moved without being unmounted from the VM first - this doesn't happen automatically: the VM has no way to know you were finished with the ISO. The only relevance of the linked tutorial is that it made you mount a different ISO, thus solving the bad reference. Any ISO would have done the trick.