VirtualBox is unable to create network adapters if you remove and re-install it

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fred1

VirtualBox is unable to create network adapters if you remove and re-install it

Post by fred1 »

Because of 6.1.30 being incompatible with Windows's core integrity feature, I had to remove it, to install 6.1.26.

However, it is now unable to create any of the network adapters (which it did just fine on the initial 6.1.30 install on this fresh Windows setup).

A repair install or using older installers does not work. During install it will attempt to install the adapters, time out and fail silently without any errors.

During this attempt at install you can also see the adapter showing up in device manager temporarily with an error:
https://i.imgur.com/w08CAQ7.png

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) The specified page protection was not valid."

I really need an urgent solution for this because the only one I know right now is to format the system and install 6.1.26 at the start but I really can not as it took a long time to setup the current system. I have had this issue in the past and had to format to fix it but it is getting tiring. I really wish for a fix from VirtualBox developers.

It was able to install the adapters fine's on the first VirtualBox install (with memory integrity enabled as well).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox is unable to create network adapters if you remove and re-install it

Post by scottgus1 »

Please try uninstalling Virtualbox and rebooting the host, then check C:\Windows\System32\Drivers for any .sys files starting with 'Vbox'. There may be none, might be up to 5. If you find any, delete them, reboot again, and try installing Virtualbox by right-clicking the installer and Run As Administrator. Also, disable real-time scanning on your AV during the Virtualbox installation.