Failed to load R0 module on new Microsoft Surface

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Kaspan

Failed to load R0 module on new Microsoft Surface

Post by Kaspan »

Hi,

I have a brand new Surface Pro 7+, Windows Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042.

Have installed VB 6.1.28 and extension pack (same version), but cannot start a Ubuntu guest.
I have repeatedly tried to create or to import a Ubuntu guest. When I create one, I make a brand new VDI and attach a Ubuntu 20.04.3 iso as live cd.

VB fails with:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Ubuntu VM.

Failed to load R0 module C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox/VMMR0.r0: SUP_IOCTL_LDR_OPEN failed (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Failed to load VMMR0.r0 (VERR_LDR_GENERAL_FAILURE).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I have tried the following:
1. Uninstalling and installing with "run as administrator"
2. Made sure Hyper-V, Containers, Virtual Machine Platform, Windows Hypervisor Platform, Windows Sandbox are off in optionalfeatures, then reinstalling as in point 1.
3. Typed in "virtualbox bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off", then reinstalling as in 1.
3. Enabling the above, restarting, disabling the above, restarting twice, reinstalling as in 1.
4. Downgrading to 6.0.24 with relevant extension pack. In that case VB fails with "call to whvsetuppartition failed: error_success (last=0xc000000d/87) (verr_nem_vm_create_failed)."
5. Going back to 6.1.28 for the purpose of creating this post.

Any help would be very appreciated. The logs for the 6.1.28 system are attached.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(23.66 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Failed to load R0 module on new Microsoft Surface

Post by scottgus1 »

6.1.28 has a bug. Use 6.1.26 and matching Extension Pack here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The Windows Hypervisor-enforced Code Integrity (HVCI) feature rejects the VirtualBox component VMMR0.r0. A workaround is to disable HVCI aka Memory integrity as follows:

On your Windows host, go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Security > Device security > Core isolation details, turn off Memory integrity and reboot the Windows host.
Dmatzen

Post by Dmatzen »

Is this going to be fixed or will we have to now leave this feature disabled to run VirtualBox?
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The VirtualBox developers will have to investigate the finer details, and I'd assume that eventually it will be fixed. Until then, you can either use VirtualBox 6.1.26 or disable HVCI for now.