Failure Installing VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
konger

Failure Installing VirtualBox

Post by konger »

Trying to install VirtualBox-6.1.22-r144080.msi on win10 pro 20H2. Installation window "Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.22 Setup" gets stuck. No progress, no install, also no error, just stuck. Rebooted, retried, same result.

Searching for answers in this forum provided none. The only answer I found here was to activate msi install logging and then post it. I activated logging. Attaching files here seems impossible. Attempting to paste the content of the logfile into this field gets these two errors:
You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.
Your message contains 63387 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.
Therefore I will try to paste it in two posts, see below.

About the content of the logfile "MSI339b7.LOG" from TEMP folder:

(--> the rejected u r l is "h t t p // w w w virtualbox org")
--> first part of the log: in line 479 you find the last step at 4:18 at which the install got stuck
--> second part of the log: in line 480 (line 1 in this part) you find when I killed the installer in the task manager at 4:38, subsequent entries point to a faulty Windows Installer, which of course is just caused by me killing the task. (other msi installs on this machine don't get stuck like this)

Does anybody have similar experiences? How do I get VirtualBox installed?

Mod edit: pasted log deleted.
Last edited by mpack on 19. Jun 2021, 13:55, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edit
konger

Re: Failure Installing VirtualBox

Post by konger »

second part of two of the log:

Mod edit: pasted log deleted.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Pasted logs are not useful. Zip the log and attach the zip locally - no offsite URL is required.
konger

Post by konger »

thanks for the hint, see attached the log
Attachments
MSI339b7.zip
(12.61 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Where did you get the MSI? VirtualBox is typically installed from an installer exe file. Of course the installer unpacks the msi, but why did you need to unpack it manually? Were you already having problems running the exe?

Btw, the error I see in the log is:
MSI Log wrote: Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
MSI (c) (B8:D0) [04:38:30:890]: Product: Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.22 -- Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
Have you disabled MSI? Do you have full admin rights?

Also, what is the Windows version? I don't see that info in the log. In particular I assume that the host OS is 64bit.
konger

Post by konger »

mpack wrote:Where did you get the MSI? VirtualBox is typically installed from an installer exe file. Of course the installer unpacks the msi, but why did you need to unpack it manually? Were you already having problems running the exe?

Btw, the error I see in the log is:
MSI Log wrote: Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
MSI (c) (B8:D0) [04:38:30:890]: Product: Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.22 -- Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.
Have you disabled MSI? Do you have full admin rights?

Also, what is the Windows version? I don't see that info in the log. In particular I assume that the host OS is 64bit.
Thank You for Your reply.

1. Starting from the exe (as admin) lead to the same result. All it does anyway is unpack the msi to the %TEMP% folder and then start that. I eventually went to that location and startet the msi there with a user with full admin rights. Same result, the log is from this try.
2. After the freeze of the installer for 20 minutes I killed the installer in the task manager (see the initial post). After that the logging service can of course not find it and issues an error. The error occurs at 4:38, twenty minutes into the freeze. Yes, the user has full admin rights.
3. win10 pro 20H2, 64 bit, fully updated.

Does anybody have similar problems?
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Do you have any additional security or antivirus software installed except Microsoft Defender?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

konger wrote:Does anybody have similar problems?
I don't recall anyone reporting problems like these. Perhaps you would have better luck asking about MSI problems on a Microsoft forum. Nothing VirtualBox could do should legitimately allow any component of Windows to freeze.
konger

Post by konger »

mpack wrote:
konger wrote:Does anybody have similar problems?
I don't recall anyone reporting problems like these. Perhaps you would have better luck asking about MSI problems on a Microsoft forum. Nothing VirtualBox could do should legitimately allow any component of Windows to freeze.
do you have a quick reference for a different msi installer that I could test with?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

konger wrote: do you have a quick reference for a different msi installer that I could test with?
The "MSI installer" is Windows itself, i.e. MSI is a component of Windows. Other installers do exist, but aren't relevant unless the install package was built using the alternate installer's toolkit.

So no, an alternative to MSI is not possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer
konger

Post by konger »

mpack wrote:
konger wrote: do you have a quick reference for a different msi installer that I could test with?
The "MSI installer" is Windows itself, i.e. MSI is a component of Windows. Other installers do exist, but aren't relevant unless the install package was built using the alternate installer's toolkit.

So no, an alternative to MSI is not possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Installer
what I meant was a different software installed with the msi installer (an installer based on msi installation routines), something small and simple, to test if the msi installer of that software will then show similar failure.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Most programs t designed to run under a Windows OS use the MSI installer. I would say any software you buy from Microsoft for the Windows OS will use it.

Any file with the extension .msi is a Windows installer package.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Most Windows software I buy comes with an exe installer. With the exception of VirtualBox I've never needed to know what installer framework it uses under the hood.

Using MSI directly seems to be most popular with IT support people. Anyone in that business can probably lay hands on a big stack of MSI files.