Cant import a VMDX/OVF file to VMBOX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
OXB

Post by OXB »

hope all is well, wanted to know how i can import a Win 10 client from VM Workstation 16 to VMBOX

im receiving the following error messages (see attached)

Thanks!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cant import a VMDX/OVF file to VMBOX

Post by scottgus1 »

Please try the import again, then if it fails, go to C:\Users\{youraccount}\.Virtualbox, and zip & post the VboxSVC.log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
OXB

Post by OXB »

ok, just uploaded the VBoxSVC.log file as a ZIP, also, ive added here the error codes i copied

Failed to open the disk image file C:\Users\***\Documents\Virtual Machines\MS.Win_10_Client_1-disk1.vmdk.

Cannot register the hard disk 'C:\Users\****\Documents\Virtual Machines\MS.Win_10_Client_1-disk1.vmdk' {d13c5bf0-ab4b-4b5d-8d51-06dfd32a32fb} because a hard disk 'C:\Users\oronb\Documents\Virtual Machines\Win 10 Client 1\Win 10 Client 1.vmdk' with UUID {d13c5bf0-ab4b-4b5d-8d51-06dfd32a32fb} already exists.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: VirtualBoxWrap
Interface: IVirtualBox {d0a0163f-e254-4e5b-a1f2-011cf991c38d}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)

Failed to import appliance C:\Users\******\Documents\Virtual Machines\MSWin 10 Client 1.ovf.

Error reading "C:\Users\****\Documents\Virtual Machines\MSWin 10 Client 1.ovf": Host resource of type "Other Storage Device (20)" is supported with SATA AHCI controllers only, line 48 (subtype:vmware.nvme.controller).

Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: ApplianceWrap
Interface: IAppliance {86a98347-7619-41aa-aece-b21ac5c1a7e6}
Attachments
VBoxSVC.zip
zip
(1.8 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the info. Seems the errors, though imposing-looking, are pretty self-explanatory when you get to the human-readable parts:
Cannot register the hard disk 'C:\Users\****\Documents\Virtual Machines\MS.Win_10_Client_1-disk1.vmdk' {d13c5bf0-ab4b-4b5d-8d51-06dfd32a32fb} because a hard disk 'C:\Users\oronb\Documents\Virtual Machines\Win 10 Client 1\Win 10 Client 1.vmdk' with UUID {d13c5bf0-ab4b-4b5d-8d51-06dfd32a32fb} already exists.
This means you have the file already registered with Virtualbox. What is actually in "C:\Users\****\Documents\Virtual Machines\"? Is there a file titled "MS.Win_10_Client_1-disk1.vmdk" there? Does Virtualbox show this disk file in the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Virtual Media Manager? If so, does it show the stated UUID?
OXB wrote:Error reading "C:\Users\****\Documents\Virtual Machines\MSWin 10 Client 1.ovf": Host resource of type "Other Storage Device (20)" is supported with SATA AHCI controllers only, line 48 (subtype:vmware.nvme.controller)
This one might be harder to fix. Seems the VMware VM was set up using an nvme on a controller that Virtualbox does not know about. Try making a new VM with the existing disk file from above, attaching the disk to the SATA controller. Try to match the rest of the VM to the specs stated in the OVF file. (I'm not familiar with this error, there may be other ideas. You may have to wait for someone who can offer other suggestions.

One other thing, if you are going to unnecessarily obfuscate your user name, better get all of them... :lol:
OXB wrote:C:\Users\oronb\
You don't have to do this, though. There's over 4 billion IPv4 addresses on the internet your computer could be, along with a galaxy's worth of IPv6 addresses. It would take a hacker a rrreeeeaaaaalllllyyyy long time to find which computer out there had a user called 'oronb', and they'd still need your password, which is propbably a bit more secure than "P@ssw0rd". And you're already being pen-tested by botnets.
OXB

Post by OXB »

scottgus1 wrote: This means you have the file already registered with Virtualbox. What is actually in "C:\Users\****\Documents\Virtual Machines\"? Is there a file titled "MS.Win_10_Client_1-disk1.vmdk" there? Does Virtualbox show this disk file in the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Virtual Media Manager? If so, does it show the stated UUID?
Hi "Scottgus"
im just trying to import a OVF/VMDX created by VMworkstation16 onto a VMbox
Yes there is a file named "MS.Win_10_Client_1-disk1.vmdk" , virtualbox is able to find the file when im trying to mount it...

tho how do i find the UUID?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OXB wrote:how do i find the UUID?
scottgus1 wrote: Does Virtualbox show this disk file in the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Virtual Media Manager? If so, does it show the stated UUID?
Select the disk in the Virtual Media Manager, then click the Information tab.
OXB

Post by OXB »

{d13c5bf0-ab4b-4b5d-8d51-06dfd32a32fb}
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Is that the same UUID as in the error message? If so, then the disk has already been imported, and it cannot be imported twice for some reason. (Successful imports should change the UUIDs so each import can stand alone.)

So now you would build a new VM matching the settings that the OVF wanted to make. Account for RAM size of your host (example, a VM set to 8GB RAM wont run on a host that only has 6GB total). Attach the existing disk file shown in Virtual Media Manager to the VM's SATA controller. Read section 1 and other places in the manual for more details
OXB

Post by OXB »

New error, i think it has to do with the fact that the mechine im trying to import is installed on an NVME drive, Any how i did change the controller to NVME and checked SSD option, RAM is matching.

any ideas why it wont boot ??
Attachments
new error
new error
swsws.png (8.7 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The error means that Virtualbox cannot find a bootable OS on the drive file. This could be from the second import error above (which I'm not certain how to fix).

Could also be that a placeholder file with the correct UUID was made and registered, but failed to be filled with the drive contents before erroring out. Try opening the import file in 7-zip and comparing the file size of the compressed disk (or even uncompress the disk to the desktop) to the disk file 'C:\Users\oronb\Documents\Virtual Machines\Win 10 Client 1\Win 10 Client 1.vmdk', see if the sizes are the same.

Could also be that the original export process failed too, and if they are relying on export for backups, which is always a bad idea, then they are really not backing up, only increasing their carbon footprint.
OXB

Post by OXB »

OVF or VMDK? see updated reply
Last edited by OXB on 17. May 2021, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

An OVA is just a gzipped tar archive containing a stream compressed VMDK plus some control files. You can view it with any archiving tool that supports tar.gz.
OXB

Post by OXB »

scottgus1 wrote: Try opening the import file in 7-zip and comparing the file size of the compressed disk
Just to confirm are you referring to the imported file or the source file ? and which one the OVF or VMDK?

anyhow i checked the VMDK exported file and opened it VIA open archive with 7zip, the total size is 64422412288 (if you add up the disks size in there, not sure how to convert to GB)
scottgus1 wrote: \Win 10 Client 1.vmdk', see if the sizes are the same.
in the above not what i need to compare it to
scottgus1 wrote: Could also be that the original export process failed too, and if they are relying on export for backups, which is always a bad idea, then they are really not backing up, only increasing their carbon footprint.
im not sure about this one as i did the import process already twice to make sure. ill try again tho...
OXB

Post by OXB »

P.S

all files exist locally on my computer , im just switching from VMworkstition to VMbox
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OXB wrote:are you referring to the imported file or the source file ? and which one the OVF or VMDK?
Let's think through this a bit. You're trying to boot Windows 10 from a virtual disk. Which file would be likely to carry a modern operating system: the few-kB OVF file or the several-GB VMDK file? The answer would be the VMDK.

Next we are trying to see if the file got copied properly. This involves comparing two files to see if they are identical. You have a VMDK on your 'C:\Users\oronb\Documents\Virtual Machines' folder. But that one might be bad, since Virtualbox can't find the bootable operating system. So you extract the disk from your OVA using 7-zip to your desktop and see if the file sizes of the two VMDKs are the same.
OXB wrote:i checked the VMDK exported file and opened it VIA open archive with 7zip
You would actually open the OVA with 7-zip.
OXB wrote:i did the import process already twice
Importing a failed export will always fail. I'm not saying that the export has failed, but it might have.