Deleted Snapshot in Folder - Cannot start VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
roryabc

Deleted Snapshot in Folder - Cannot start VM

Post by roryabc »

Hi There,

- I was tyring to free up space on my computer so i deleted 2 old snapshots
- I foolishly deleted them through a windows folder (instead of through the virtualbox GUI)
- Now when i try to open i get the following:

Could not open the medium 'C:\Users\USERNAME\VirtualBox VMs\ubuntu\Snapshots/{323e5d8f-e36a-4f22-b6a2-5ca894771dbc}.vdi'.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'C:\Users\USERNAME\VirtualBox VMs\ubuntu\Snapshots/{323e5d8f-e36a-4f22-b6a2-5ca894771dbc}.vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MediumWrap
Interface:
IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}

Is there a work around for this? ... The 2 .vdi files i deleted are not in the recycle bin
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Deleted Snapshot in Folder - Cannot start VM

Post by scottgus1 »

roryabc wrote:Is there a work around for this?
Regrettably, no. If you can't put the files back from a backup, your VM is screwed.

You might be able to take all of the beginning part of the snapshot chain that remains, starting from the base disk up to the first of the files you deleted, and use Mpack's CloneVDI to make a new disk file and build a new VM around it. But the new VM will not contain any of the data that was deleted, nor newer data that is in further snapshot files after the files you deleted. The files after the ones you deleted require the files you deleted to be used. Therefore they are orphaned and unusable.
roryabc

Re: Deleted Snapshot in Folder - Cannot start VM

Post by roryabc »

Thanks for the feedback on this .. I was able to go back to an early snapshot and just installed software/libraries again ... figured it would be quicker