New UUID & HWID & MAC address on new VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Bubalarba

New UUID & HWID & MAC address on new VM

Post by Bubalarba »

Hello,

I believe it's possible for software to keep track of users with the help of info like MAC addresses, HWID and UUID. Does creating a new VM ensure that all the mentioned info gathered by programs on the VM are unique and not comparable to the HWID, UUID, MAC addresses of the host?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: New UUID & HWID & MAC address on new VM

Post by socratis »

I don't know what "programs" you have in mind, but your virtual computer has virtual (fake) UUIDs, MACs and HWIDs. Nothing to do with the host. The only common thing with the host is the CPU, that's it. Read the 1st part of my sig...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bubalarba

Post by Bubalarba »

But can a program that is runned on the Virtual machine find the UUID, MACs and the HWIDs of the host PC? Or can it only see the virtual machine fake ones?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

A program running on the guest has no access to the host, by default. There's isolation.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Bubalarba

Post by Bubalarba »

So to confirm it will only be seeing the UUID, HWID & MAC that are completely different than the ones on the host?
Bubalarba

Post by Bubalarba »

The reason why I am asking this is because a Java coded client bans users based on some details which many are not sure of. Some say they hardware ban you. By creating a VM and running the client on the VM I want to bypass this and not get identified as my flagged host.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

So for whatever reason (presumably legitimate) they have banned you from using their software / service. As you seem to be asking us to help you circumvent that then "I'm out" as it could lead to us or potentially Oracle getting into trouble.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Bubalarba

Post by Bubalarba »

This is information I need for a test case.. I am a Java developer my self and try to replicate a system to use it for my own project. Beforehand I ofcourse want to see its vulnerabilities... There is no way that you giving me objective information will cause damage to Oracle in any way.. What is reputation damaging is that I can't even receive ask for information without prejudice..
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Bubalarba wrote:What is reputation damaging is that I can't even receive ask for information without prejudice.
Please don't be offended or upset by my comments.

If you look around the forums you will see a great number of locked threads where VirtualBox users have tried to get help with things that are a breach of a license agreement or circumventing copy protection. As a result, the default setting of the admins and volunteers is to play it safe and gently make people aware of these things where we don't have the facts to prove otherwise.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This may be a waste of time anyway. Any software that calculates a hardware signature in order to restrict misuse of the software is going to know when it's run in a VM, and it will refuse to do so.

Added to which, remote sites don't typically identify a connection from local MACs and UUIDs. Their main way of tracking connections is through the IP address of your Internet provider who relays your TCP/IP packets.
Bubalarba

Post by Bubalarba »

I am aware of there being an Java interface that can tell me if a virtual machine is being run, but I believe there will be workarounds for this as well. Therefore I still want to know if the UUID, HWID, MAC address and any kind of other identifiers are different from the host. If that is the case, and I've just been told there's no way to access the host from guest due to isolation, it is something that I have to look into. Even if you don't want to answer this question, I am looking for someone that is willing to. If you don't want to because of your own beliefs, then that's fine with me but I don't want to start a Stackoverflow thread for this question when really I can just get it answered here as easily. It's either a yes or a no.
Bubalarba

Post by Bubalarba »

mpack wrote:This may be a waste of time anyway. Any software that calculates a hardware signature in order to restrict misuse of the software is going to know when it's run in a VM, and it will refuse to do so.

Added to which, remote sites don't typically identify a connection from local MACs and UUIDs. Their main way of tracking connections is through the IP address of your Internet provider who relays your TCP/IP packets.
It is supposed to be a client that registers PC data at the same time for that very reason. I am not trying to only gather IP addresses but other unique identifiers that can help me out.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Bubalarba wrote:when really I can just get it answered here as easily. It's either a yes or a no.
I thought that the answer was crystal clear. Yet, you keep on insisting on asking the same question over and over again. I don't get it, which part don't you understand?
socratis wrote:A program running on the guest has no access to the host, by default. There's isolation.
Bubalarba

Post by Bubalarba »

I asked for a confirmation because you didn't give a direct answer to my question, and that is what I needed. I can't go on assumptions for serious security matters and a developer would understand. Here's your confirmation.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Feb 2019, 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Bubalarba wrote:I asked for a confirmation because you didn't give a direct answer to my question, and that is what I needed.
I think we've really exhausted the issue, the question has been answered, there's no point in continuing this discussion. Locking it.
Bubalarba wrote:I can't go on assumptions for serious security matters and a developer would understand
As has been mentioned, there's something fishy about the whole premise, you sound like you need to circumvent software protection measures, something we can't be helping you with. If you were indeed a developer, you could easily see those values in the guest and compare them with your host. Freaking easy; you wouldn't even be asking the question in the first place...