Can't launch RedHat7 VM after Win10 host update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
David Castell

Can't launch RedHat7 VM after Win10 host update

Post by David Castell »

I have exactly the same problem. [ModEdit: "same problem" being viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91207]

Mine occurred on Jan 18th 2019 after I shut down my VM, rebooted my machine for the first time since Jan 5th (*) and then tried to restart my VM. Updates are managed by my organization. When I look in Check for Updates > View Update History it merely shows an unrelated driver update that predates Windows 10 being installed on my machine. Normally when there is an update there is a visual notification, so I don't believe that there was a Windows 10 update. This, I suspect it was just the reboot that was the immediate trigger for the problem.

Footnote (*) : Got reboot dates using: get-eventlog system | where-object {$_.eventid -eq 6005} | select -first 10
David Castell

Re: Can't launch RedHat7 VM after Win10 host update

Post by David Castell »

As mentioned in an viper610's above post, I looked at the Windows Hypervisor Platform. I also found it not checked. I checked it and it prompted a reboot. After rebooting I started VirtualBox and my VM. This time no Failed to load API DLL error. But as my Red Hat 7 VM started up it panicked. I shut down the VM and my Windows 10 reported a serious error and rebooted.

I tried the VM again and once more I got the Kernel panic. This time the host machine was fairly locked up as fans whirred at high speed, but Ctrl+Alt+Del did bring up the task manager allowing me to kill VirtualBox. After that my host Windows 10 recovered.

I'm tempted to try an update to VirtualBox 6.0.2 from my current 6.0.0 as an easy thing to try.
David Castell

Post by David Castell »

The update to Virtual Box 6.0.2 did not solve the issue.

I then tried running under Hyper-V rather than Virtual Box. That worked OK(ish) though there are a number of things not yet working right. So, I'd rather like to get Red Hat 7 running under Virtual Box again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

David,

I split your posts from the thread Unable to launch Virtual Box 6.0 VM after windows 10 update (#18294).

You posted on a thread with a ticket attached to it, where the OP clearly said that their issue was fixed. Please don't piggyback on someone else's thread/ticket. It's easy enough to create your very own thread!

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
David Castell

Post by David Castell »

Attached is the log from starting up the VM from cold. Windows Hypervisor Platform in Windows Features was unchecked.
Attachments
Red Hat Linux-2019-01-22-22-20-10.log
VBox.log
(28.89 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
David Castell

Post by David Castell »

Looking in Virtual Box's Settings menus:

* There is a warning that I can't have hardware acceleration enabled as there is no hardware support.
* If I turn off hardware support there is a warning that I can't run 64 bit VMs

In the Windows 10 host's Windows Features dialog, if I turn on Windows Hypervisor Platform and reboot then I get past the above warning. Indeed, as described in my earlier post I can get past the error dialog when starting the VM that says it can't load WinHvPlatform.dll - but it results in a kernel panic (in __lookup_address_in_pgd) as my VM is starting up.

A colleague suggested turning off the Virtual Box Enable I/O APIC setting. This also required that I reduced the number of CPUs to 1. This time when I ran my VM I got a different kernel panic at startup: in __native_set_fixmap.

So, 2 mysteries remain:

1. Why was Windows Hypervisor Platform disabled after my reboot on Jan 18th? I'll investigate that further.
2. Why the kernel panic (which did not happen before the Jan 18th reboot)?