Display/graphics error on new VM setup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
IrwinMFletcher

Display/graphics error on new VM setup

Post by IrwinMFletcher »

So I've tried this on both a Windows 10 machine and a Macbook with the exact same error occurring.
I'm trying to set up a Linux Mint 19 VM, 64-bit...both machines have plenty of RAM and are 64-bit. I've tried everything with different settings and cannot find any similar problems in the forums.
Every time I get to the initial installation, about the time the Linux chimes sound, instead of showing the Linux Mint desktop with the .iso disk to install, I get what looks like static that takes up the whole screen except the menus on the top and bottom.
imgur. com/qngx0aU
The mouse does not show up in the static, but reappears and functions normally on both top and bottom menu.
I wouldn't think it'd be a graphics card issue because the exact same thing happens regardless if it's on my Windows notebook or my Macbook. Exact same "error."
Thoughts?
Thank you.
IrwinMFletcher

Re: Display/graphics error on new VM setup

Post by IrwinMFletcher »

I'm still having trouble and hoping someone can help. Here is what it looks like after Linux Mint installs on VM...

http://imgs.fyi/img/6rls.png

As you can see, the menu bars on the top and bottom work find, but the screen in between is unviewable. Incidentally, this does not happen with VM Ware, but I do not like their product.
Thank you.
Last edited by socratis on 28. Nov 2018, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed non-rendering [img] tag to a 3rd party site.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please attach the images locally. Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
flav

Post by flav »

Hi there !

I've the exact same issue.
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (95.12 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Running current Virtual Box, on a up to date mac book air 2018
Using current Linux Mint Cinamon iso

Played with screen settings, put maximum video memory (128Mb), 2D/3D acceleration, disabled HiDPI, etc. And always got the same result

Attached : a screen shot and the log

Gonna try other isos and let you know

Did you find a solution IrwinMFletcher ?

Cheers !
Attachments
Linux_Mint19-2018-12-17-11-20-07.log.zip
Log
(26.35 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
flav

Post by flav »

Finished download of current Linux Mint but Mate instead of cinemon, and I don't have the glitches..
So it's something about cinemon
flav

Post by flav »

Linux Mint 19.1 beta Cinnamon is not affected by the bug
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So @flav, Mint 19 fails and Mint 19.1 works? Both with Cinnamon? Good to know, thanks for the feedback...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
flav

Post by flav »

yes
So far 19.1 (beta) works with cinnamon
I'm not good enough to know what's the difference and if it's going to stay that way.

I'll upgrade and let you know :)

EDIT : I can confirm the initial post, we had the very same problem with Mint 19 on Virtual Box (freshly downloaded) for windows 10 (up to date). And it's also working on Mint 19.1 Cinnamon beta
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Works fine here...
  • Host: OSX 10.11.6
  • VirtualBox: 6.0.0 r127566
  • Guest: installed from "linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso".
    $ uname -a
    Linux VB-Mint-19 4.15.0-42-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 15 19:32:57 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ VBoxControl -version
    6.0.0r127566