Automatically Register Guest Hostname

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
bumcheekcity

Automatically Register Guest Hostname

Post by bumcheekcity »

I'm running a variety of guest boxes on a Windows Host, mostly Ubuntu-based. I'm using Bridged networking for all of them, but I'm struggling to get the hostname accessible from either the host or any other computer on my home network, which is running under a home router doing all the DNS/DHCP work.

I can ping everything by IP address, (host to guest and guest to host), but nothing ever by hostname. I know I can just edit the hosts file of my host, but that needs continuous re-editing for changed IPs and new machines. How do I get the guest servers to appear as completely transparent PCs on the network, available by hostname?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Automatically Register Guest Hostname

Post by socratis »

That would depend on your router, the one that's handing out the DHCP IP addresses. If it doesn't have a built-in functionality to make the name/IP connections, and then use that for its DNS resolution (when asked), there's not that much that you can do.

Speaking of asking the DNS server... Do you have your router set up as an additional DNS server? Or even your primary DNS server? Or you're one of those people that put specifically 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Rootman

Re: Automatically Register Guest Hostname

Post by Rootman »

I VM on a bridged network is just another PC on the network, nothing, including the router should know that it's a VM or physical machine.

Do all your other devices register in your local DNS structure? Chances are unless you have some sort of DHCP / DNS setting above what's normally provided by the typical router you do not. I've got a fairly new Netgear router and it won't do it. I can easily go in and set reserved addresses picking each device off the list and then giving it a name, but it won't do it by itself.

So, you need to add something on your network to do it, or perhaps setup your router with one of the aftermarket OSs that have a module that will do local DNS registration and resolution.

Windows can usually do broadcast, but *nixs' don't usually pick up on this.