[WorksForMe] Shared folder won't mount

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
emil78

[WorksForMe] Shared folder won't mount

Post by emil78 »

I am using virtualbox 5.2.20 on Windwos 7. I have debian 9 guest machine with shared folder setup to auto mount. It worked fine but for some reason it stopped mounting on boot. If i try to mount it with command: 'mount -t vboxsf Shared /media/sf_Shared' i get error '/sbin/mount.vboxsf: mounting failed with the error: No such device'. The VboxGuestAdditions.iso even it is inserted it is not mounted also.
I guess the problem might be with my guest machine, debian 9, but can't find what it is.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Oct 2018, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
emil78

Re: Shared folder won't mount

Post by emil78 »

Nevermind, i fixed it. I had to run the command 'sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)' to install linux headers, then mount the guest addition iso, because even it was inserted it wasn't mounted 'sudo mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0/. And after that installing the new guest additions.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared folder won't mount

Post by socratis »

Just like the manual says... ;)
Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.