unable to run my machine (.vbox) in new virtualbox build

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Stanbox

unable to run my machine (.vbox) in new virtualbox build

Post by Stanbox »

I uninstalled my older virtualbox, rebooted then I installed the newer version VirtualBox-5.2.18, I attached the machine I created with the older VirtualBox-5.0.14, but whenever I try to run the machine, I keep getting the error message (screenshot attached), I clicked on details and I copied the error message below
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine MYPC.

The virtual machine 'MYPC' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\sid\VirtualBox VMs\MYPC\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Would really appreciate some help here, thanks all.
Attachments
vmerror.jpg
vmerror.jpg (92.24 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Aug 2018, 16:29, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: unable to run my machine (.vbox) in new virtualbox build

Post by andyp73 »

Stanbox wrote:More details may be available in 'C:\Users\Sid\VirtualBox VMs\MYPC\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
Did you have a look in the file that the error message prompted you to look into? If you can't understand it then post it here zipped of course.

The dialog box would suggest, to me, that you have some installation problems with VirtualBox or with the Windows certificate store as it doesn't think all of the executables have been signed with the same certificate.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

Thanks for replying, here's the zipped file for the log file containing vboxhardening.log and vbox.log
Attachments
Logs.zip
(27.51 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Aug 2018, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
VirtualBox VM 5.0.14 r105127 win.amd64 (Jan 19 2016 16:40:17)
As this is practically an antique (in software terms at least) then I think I would start by uninstalling this, rebooting the computer and then installing the latest version (5.2.18) as of writing and see what happens then!

Don't worry your guest configuration and disk images will be fine!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

That's the point I am trying to make, I already uninstalled that version, did a reboot and then installed the latest version 5.2.18, then I attached my machines to the new one, tried to run the machine and I got the error message, that's why I created this thread.
Last edited by socratis on 17. Aug 2018, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

A general point... you don't need to quote the whole of the previous message each time. You can use the "reply" button and quote only the important or relevant parts!
Stanbox wrote:I already uninstalled that version, did a reboot and then installed the latest version 5.2.18
My apologies, I missed that in the original post. I think there was a change in certificate provider somewhere between 5.0.4 and the most recent version. It looks as though the installer for 5.2.18 hasn't run correctly. When you ran the installer for the new version did you run it as your user or did you go for "Run as administrator"?

My next step would be to uninstall VirtualBox again and then run something like CCleaner to clean up the registry, etc. then try the installation again.

-Andy.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

Didn't run as admin, should I run as admin after using ccleaner?
Last edited by socratis on 17. Aug 2018, 20:10, edited 2 times in total.
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

Stanbox wrote:Didn't run as admin, should I run as admin after using ccleaner?
Yes, you need the escalated privileges to be able to install the device drivers used by VirtualBox. Possibly what you have is the non-driver parts of 5.2.18 and the drivers from 5.0.14.

-Andy.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Here's my "proper installation" snippet:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

Now I am getting this message
The device helper structure version has changed.
If you have upgraded VirtualBox recently, please make sure you have terminated all VMs and upgraded any extension packs. If this error persists, try re-installing VirtualBox. (VERR_PDM_DEVHLPR3_VERSION_MISMATCH).

Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
can someone just tell me what is going on here? I am confused, am I supposed to download the old 5.0.14 version? is the new virtualbox not compatible with machines created using the old versions? I am totally fed up right now
Last edited by socratis on 19. Aug 2018, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You did not follow the instructions exactly, or the instructions need a minor adjustment. Step #6 talks about installing the Extension Pack. Well, what happened was that you had the previous ExtPack installed, and you didn't remove the previous one (the older version) and replace it with the new version that you downloaded in step #3.

Another possibility is that you may have a saved-state VM. You should discard the saved state.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

I did all this, extracted my backed up vm and then added the vm to the new build of virtual box, I tried to run it and I got this error
Could not open the medium 'X:\DW\MYPC.vdi'.
VD: error VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'X:\DW\MYPC.vdi' (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND).

Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
What could this mean?
Last edited by socratis on 20. Aug 2018, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer

Post by andyp73 »

Stanbox wrote:Could not open the medium 'X:\DW\MYPC.vdi'.
VD: error VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND opening image file 'X:\DW\MYPC.vdi' (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND).
This means that the recipe (configuration) for the guest has been told the virtual disk image is the file X:\DW\MYPC.vdi and that when VirtualBox went to try and open it couldn't find it.

You need to check that the file is in that location or you need to modify the guest configuration to point it to the correct location of the file.

-Andy.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

Ok, I got it to start working, phew! took almost a week from me lol, anyway when importing my backed up vm's, do I need to install guest additions for all of them? why i am asking is because when i created the vm's (on the old virtual box) I installed guest additions on all of them.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Stanbox wrote:when importing my backed up vm's, do I need to install guest additions for all of them?
No. The guest additions are a part of the guest VM. Just like if you had installed Firefox on the guest, and you're asking if you should re-install Firefox in the VM after you restore if from a backup.

But, make sure that the Guest Additions (GAs) match your host-installed VirtualBox, the main program. Oh, and re-installing the GAs, never hurt anyone... ;)