unable to configure Host Network getting 169.x.x.x

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pattman64

unable to configure Host Network getting 169.x.x.x

Post by Pattman64 »

I have an issue with trying to configure my host network that I am seeking help with.

My host machine is running Win 8.1 and has (3) network adapters.

I have Verizon as my ISP (don't even get me started there) and am going from their router to an ASUS RT-ACRH13 router to my desktop.

My IP address is set to 192.168.50.1

Primary NIC is inbred to MOBO and is set to DHCP to obtain IP address from Asus RT-ACRH13 router and is picking up the following IP:

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge: <bridge is the NIC + VBOX host adapter - created when auto-configuring host adapter>

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Dri
ver
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : BC-AE-C5-54-ED-69
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10e3:36e:70b:7eeb%16(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.211(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 16, 2018 8:20:46 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:20:47 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 297578181
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-E9-9B-09-BC-AE-C5-54-ED-69

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Secondary NIC is through a Plugable adapter device and I have set to a static IP address as follows:

Ethernet adapter Plugable:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Plugable Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 8C-AE-4C-ED-09-2D
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::95b7:148a:a00:fe51%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.123(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 629976652
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1F-E9-9B-09-BC-AE-C5-54-ED-69

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.50.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I also have a wireless adapter which I may remove as I have no real need for it as this time.

my problem is that whenever I try to configure the host network within VirtualBox (just removed all previous versions and scoured registry to complete previous removals; downloaded and installed VBox 5.2.14r23301 (Qt5.6.2) I am getting a 169.254.245.10/16 network (regardless if DHCP is enabled or not). If I remove and recreate I get similar 169.x.x.x/xx IP and I am not abkle to Manually create a network.

I am trying to build labs (for training) consisting of a domain controler (with a NAT and host connection) and up to 4 other machines (domain controllers or user machines) and this is not working.

Everything was fine until we moved residences and had to go from Comcast to Verizon; but the only thing that has changed is the router supplying internet connectivity to the asus router. I had the same configuration at my previous location.

Thoughts? Solutions?

and no, I do not want to bypass my Asus router and connect my desktop to the Verizon router; and see no reason to have to.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: unable to configure Host Network getting 169.x.x.x

Post by mpack »

What is a "VBox Host Adapter"?

The only similarly named feature that I know of is the "VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter", which (as the name tells you) is only used by "Host Only" networking mode, i.e. a private network between the VM and the host (only), no Internet access.

So this isn't just a minor typo, that error makes the rest of what you say nonsensical, e.g. talking about the IP address assigned to you by an ISP.

Also, if what you intended to use was bridged networking then it is up to you to connect to a network which includes a DHCP server. If the IP address you mention is the one used by your host then your guest can't use the same IP. In order to share an IP both the VM and the host would have to be behind a router which includes a DHCP server.

If you need Internet access, can you tell me why you didnt leave the VM configured for NAT mode?
Pattman64

Post by Pattman64 »

yes, I am trying to configure the VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. When I try to configure it I am only presented with a 169.x.x./xx IP scheme and any host I connect to that network can not connect to each other and are not networked together. I wanted to specify an IP addressing scheme for each of the host networks I am wanting to configure so that I can keep my labs separated and more organized and because I am also working on learning IP Subnetting in my lab environment. Currently I am unable to setup IP addressing within VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter the way I know (from previous experience with V-Box) I should be able to.

I was providing my physical network layout as I wanted to make clear how my physical network is configured (in case that is helpful in determining the issue).
Thank you all, in advance, for your assistance in this matter.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Obviously 169.x.x.x addresses are fallbacks which Windows uses when it is unable to get a dynamic IP address using DHCP.

If DHCP is enabled in the host only feature and in the guest then it definitely will work, so the only thing I can think of is to make sure that the host only NIC is marked as trusted in your host OS (and check the guest too). For a discussion of this problem see viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27924.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I am also having problems working out what you are talking about here. The host only adapter in VirtualBox is simply an interface (not a NIC) on the host which can connect to a host only adapter in a vm. The interface on the host usually has an IP of 192.168.56.1 and has a DHCP server so that a vm will get a 192.168.56.x IP and no gateway address. Its only purpose is to connect the host and a guest. You can see how yours is configured by selecting Global Tools in the top right of the VirtualBox Manager window.

I cannot see any connection between this and your stated aim of setting up a home lab with multiple vms including a domain controller.
Bill
Pattman64

Post by Pattman64 »

just ran upgrade to version 5.2.16r123759 (Qt5.6.2) and still getting 169.x.x.x Ip during configuration of Host-Only Network

Error when enabling DHCP server
VirtualBox Host Adapter error.JPG (28.4 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
Host Adapter Configuration:
Host Adapter Configuration
Host Adapter Configuration
VirtualBox Host Adapter Configuration.JPG (87.41 KiB) Viewed 6333 times
I was trying to add the log file; but apparently it is too large to attach
Last edited by Pattman64 on 18. Jul 2018, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, we haven't identified a VirtualBox problem in this discussion as yet, so I'm not surprised that the behaviour of it has not changed in VirtualBox 5.2.16.
Pattman64

Post by Pattman64 »

I guess, at this point< the only other thing I can try is connecting my desktop (the physical host for my Vbox) directly to the Verizon Router (bypassing my router) to see if that makes a difference. if so, I can always connect 1 of my wan connections to that and use it specifically and only for Vbox connections.

But, honestly I am not seeing how that would make any difference.

Regardless, that is my last option and I will try that tonight when I get home to see if that makes any difference as far as the host only network. If it does, then there's something within the Asus Router that I need to determine the functionality of and how it may have changed just from changing of ISP.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Suggestions were made above that you have not responded to, particularly the link to past discussion of what I think your problem most likely is.
Pattman64

Post by Pattman64 »

I did try connecting directly to the Verizon router (bypassing my ASUS router) and it provided no change.

I did check out the link above (regarding the NdisDeviceType) and found 2 entries and tried changing both entries to both 1 and then again to 0 with no change in my issue.
Pattman64

Resolved: unable to configure Host Network getting 169.x.x.x

Post by Pattman64 »

finally got this fixed.
I found steps under topic: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=87942&start=15 - specifically the message from Socrates (thank you):

Not really, not the way you're thinking at least. I'm thinking that something might be out of whack in your setup, so I'd suggest a re-installation of VirtualBox. It never hurt anyone to start with a clean start.

Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.

You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".

Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.

Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.

Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.

If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.

Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.

Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.

Now I just need to get my guest version of Windows 10 to see the Domain Controller and I will be good. I am so close to having my training / test lab up and running.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help with this issue.
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Nothing to do with VirtualBox per se, but several things about this are odd. The first is "a domain controller with a NAT and host connection". This is a no-no. A domain controller should have one interface only. This was the case way back with NT4 and did not change when AD moved to DNS in Windows 2000. If you doubt this, google multihomed DC and see how many hits you get.

The generally accepted way to set up a domain using VirtualBox is to use an internal virtual network for the domain with all domain machines (including the DC) having one NIC in the same IP subnet and all using the local DC for DNS. If you need Internet access for the domain, set up an additional vm to act as a router - one NIC in the internal network to be the default gateway for the domain machines, one bridged to a NIC in the host which has Internet access. A common choice for the virtual router is the pfSense virtual appliance.

Active Directory relies on DNS and all domain members must use the local DC only for AD to function properly. The DNS server in the DC is set to forward to a public DNS to allow external URLs to be resolved.

https://iga1976.wordpress.com/2017/10/1 ... irtualbox/
Bill
Pattman64

Post by Pattman64 »

Thank you for this. I will check this out.