Another hardening issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
greenJunior

Another hardening issue

Post by greenJunior »

Hi,

I'm using VB for two months now and since about a week I can't start my guests anymore. It was around the time I got a big Windowns update. When I try, I get the messages posted in the attachments. After the first time I update VB from 5.2.6 to 5.2.12 but got the same messages. I tried to follow the tutorial on diagnosing hardening issues, but nothing helps my situation. The first time I ran sfc /scannow it fixt a problem, but still got the message. Updating hardware drivers was also unsuccessful. Also searched for anti-viruses and other named software like trusteer rapport and powerbroker to disable/uninstall, but I can't figure it out.

I'm using:
Windows 10 host version 17134 64-bit
VirtualBox 5.2.12r122591
Linux guest Ubuntu 16.04 TLS 64-bit

Hopefully you can find something. Thanks for your time.
Attachments
ErrorMessage2.PNG
ErrorMessage2.PNG (15.93 KiB) Viewed 935 times
ErrorMessage1.PNG
ErrorMessage1.PNG (11.86 KiB) Viewed 935 times
VBoxHardening.zip
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Another hardening issue

Post by mpack »

See the hardening faq: FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.

It specifically discusses the "more than one thread in process" issue (see final paragraph of third post).
CharlesP

Post by CharlesP »

I had a similar problem today on my recently updated Windows-10 PC. After reading around this forum and elsewhere I found people talking about clashes with Trustee Rapport (the software that makes online banking secure). I have now deleted Rapport and reinstalled Virtualbox, and Virtualbox is now working again. (Now got to reinstall my virtual XP machine inside Virtual box which I need to run our office antiquated bespoke highly customised database software, as I deleted that whilst trying to figure out why Virtual box was not working!).
Last edited by CharlesP on 25. Jun 2018, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm pretty sure that the Trustee Rapport problems do not present in the same way (i.e. "more than one thread"). The FAQ lists the likely causes.
CharlesP

Post by CharlesP »

OK mpack, mine was not a "more than one thread" problem, but simply a problem with my virtual machine failing to start and with a pop-up box that looked similar to the one shown here, but with a different error description. Sorry I didn't take a screenshot. I'm just glad I got my virtual-XP machine running again, and I hope greenJunior manages to get his working again.
greenJunior

Post by greenJunior »

Thanks CharlesP. Still work in progress unfortunately. I'll make sure to post the solution once I find it.