Random keyb/mouse loss with Win10 17666 (fast ring)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MacNala
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, 10, 11 & Ubuntu 20.04 & 22.04

Random keyb/mouse loss with Win10 17666 (fast ring)

Post by MacNala »

I ask this to check if this is what is happening to my Insider preview updates.
I have a Win 10 Pro desktop 1803 in which I run multiple VirtualBox VMs one is my Insider Preview build for the Fast Ring another is one for the Insider preview Skip Ahead.
What is happening is that the latest update build 17666 fails to install because at some point when it requires an input from me, such as Restart Now, I am unable do so as my USB mouse is frozen, at the same time the USB keyboard is frozen as well. The nett result of this that I am unable to complete the updates.
I have a vague memory that there is an option which permits the O/S to disable devices , presumably to save power. I winder if this is happening when I am waiting long and longer for the update to finish.

I have changed the mouse and keyboard, I have changed the port they are connected to but am at a loss to understand why the devices work perfectly well while being used but fail to work when left unused for a length of time.

VB 5.2.12
Last edited by socratis on 23. May 2018, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed title to something more appropriate.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Random keyb/mouse loss with Win10 17666 (fast ring)

Post by socratis »

Go to VM Settings, USB. If you have any filters delete them. This sounds like you've enabled a blank filter that captures everything under the sun...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

Thanks for the reply.#
As far as I can see there are no filters in the VM USB settings.
When I display the VM USB Settings the USB Device Filters box is completely empty, which is what I assume it would be if there were no filters set.
Should I set a filter and then delete it to achieve what you suggest?

Would a filter not take effect immediately I opened the VM and thus freeze the USB before I have even had the opportunity to select the Settings in Win 10.
This does not seem to be the case as I can use the VM normally (no freezing) until I check for updates and then wait while the update starts and then freezes while I am waiting for a request for me to input some response.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

We're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. wait for the keyboard/mouse to freeze.
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

Thanks again for the response.
I had a lead from someone that there is an option in the Power advanced settings to disable the USB selective suspend option. I found my Host and my Guest had this enabled so I disabled them both. Looking around I also found a setting for the hard disk which would turn it off after 20 minutes. I have set this to never. Having done this I tried the update again and it failed this time it froze the mouse in the Host after a few minutes of me trying to use it.
I expect it may be some time before I can respond to your request for the Log file while I recover the Guest again. The Host is up and running OK.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MacNala wrote:it failed this time it froze the mouse in the Host after a few minutes of me trying to use it.
What does your Task Manager have to say about the status of the host? Are you maxing out on RAM perhaps?
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

The Host is unlikely to have run out of RAM there is 32GB there however I will check when I get back up again to confirm the usage at the time of failure.
Are you suspecting a storage leak or an excessive usage without release.
The Guest on the other hand may be limited I will check the amount designated to the Guest.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MacNala wrote:The Host is unlikely to have run out of RAM there is 32GB there
I'm not talking about the installed RAM. What's important is the available RAM, that's why I mentioned a live monitor.
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

Understood.
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

Because I needed to use the VM which was giving me trouble I blew it away and recreated it so I will be unable to provide the log you requested. I have however noted a similar problem with another of my machines and I will remember to save the log and forward to the community when I get round to it.
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

@socratis
I am really having a problem here. It has started happening on a VM that seemed to be working normally.
What I was doing was trying delete a snapshot from a VM name vbxwA1 I have attached the VMLog.zip
Attachments
vmlog.zip
I hope this is what you meant.
(30.14 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10 r122406 win.amd64 (Apr 27 2018 10:39:07) release log
We're now at 5.2.12, can you update? Don't forget to update your Ext.Pack for your host, and the GAs for your guest.
00:00:06.309212   Path   <string>  = "D:\VMDisks\vbxwA1\vbxwA1C.vdi" (cb=30)
What's "D:\"?
MacNala wrote:What I was doing was trying delete a snapshot from a VM name vbxwA1
That's a new one, right?
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

A1. Yes I know but I don't control what the VBox.log says. I am using 5.2.12 and have updated the extension pack and GA pack correctly.

A2. D:\ is a non-removable hard drive attached to the Host machine and on which there are all the VM disks such as the one quoted.

A3. I do not understand your text.
I told you what I was doing to try to help your interpretation of the VBox.log.
I was doing this as a way to see if I could create the VBox.log after suffering a USB mouse disconnect.
It was during doing this there was a freezing of the mouse and keyboard so I powered off the Host, there being no other way I could get the Host to work.

I hope you can help me further.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MacNala wrote:A1. Yes I know but I don't control what the VBox.log says. I am using 5.2.12 and have updated the extension pack and GA pack correctly.
No, you're not. The VBox.log doesn't lie.
MacNala wrote:A3. I do not understand your text.
You had a problem with the keyboard and the mouse. We were going for USB filters. When did the "I was trying to delete a snapshot" came into play? That's a completely different problem, isn't it?
MacNala

Post by MacNala »

OK you can see the log. I can see the Help about VirtualBox which says 5.2.12r122591 (Qt5.6.2)
What might have happened is the wrong VBox.log was sent.

I will repeat the process and see if I can produce the problem again.

YES the problem is the mouse and keyboard get disconnected; That is they freeze and are not responsive to movement, clicks or key presses.
I used a recent example of the very frustrating problem to try to send you the Log perhaps I got the wrong one.
I am not saying that there is any problem with VB just looking for help to try to narrow down the possible cause/s.
As I cannot produce the problem at will, I never know when it is going to happen I am sure you will appreciate is not helping.

I will send another log file.