I chose the subnet of the Host Only Network

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nhuphuong422

I chose the subnet of the Host Only Network

Post by nhuphuong422 »

Can I specify which subnet the Host Only is on? I'd like for it to be on 10.1.1.0/24 if possible for a lab I'm working on.

Thanks in advanced.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: I chose the subnet of the Host Only Network

Post by andyp73 »

It looks like the user manual is your friend here!

Start with Ch 6.7. Host-only networking and then, if you are a command line junkie, then you may also want to read Ch 8.38, “VBoxManage dhcpserver”.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: I chose the subnet of the Host Only Network

Post by socratis »

nhuphuong422 wrote:... if possible for a lab I'm working on.
You have to realize that the HostOnly network, as the name suggests, is visible ONLY to the host and the guest, no one else, right? So, it doesn't really matter what range you chose, as long as it doesn't interfere with an existing network.

Besides the advice that Andy gave you, you can do the same actions from the GUI as well. Just choose File » Host Network Manager... » Properties » DHCP server. Set your range to whatever you want, avoiding conflicts with existing networks. For example mine (yes, I've changed the defaults), has the properties:

Adapter » Configure Adapter Manually
  • IPv4 Address: 192.168.20.1
  • IPv4 Network Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • IPv6 Address: <empty>
  • IPv6 Prefix Length: 0
DHCP Server » Enable Server
  • Server Address: 192.168.20.100
  • Server Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Lower Bound Address: 192.168.20.101
  • Upper Bound Address: 192.168.20.254
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.