Virtual Box Guest Is Not Showing Captured Wifi Device In Terminal When Command "lsusb" Is Entered

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mickyel

Virtual Box Guest Is Not Showing Captured Wifi Device In Terminal When Command "lsusb" Is Entered

Post by Mickyel »

Hello,

I am attempting to follow the instructions listed on this website:
can't post urls, if you google "hightech lowlife alfa kali virtual box" it will be the first link!

i have reached this part:

"Once Kali has rebooted, plug in your AWUS036ACH and connect it to your VirtualBox instance
Ensure that USB device is recognized via lsusb
It should appear in a line similar to Bus xxx Device xxx: ID xxxx:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter"

Virtualbox shows that the device has been "captured"

however, kali the guest os says as follows when i type in "lsusb":

Code: Select all

root@kali:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
help would be appreciated as always, thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box Guest Is Not Showing Captured Wifi Device In Terminal When Command "lsusb" Is Entere

Post by socratis »

Mickyel wrote:I am attempting to follow the instructions listed on this website:
Actually there's a more "generic" FAQ about USB. Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.

I also have the feeling that this device is a USB3 one, is this correct? The information that you post, if you don't solve it, will tell us all the details.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mickyel

Re: Virtual Box Guest Is Not Showing Captured Wifi Device In Terminal When Command "lsusb" Is Entere

Post by Mickyel »

Code: Select all

root@kali:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:8812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8812AU 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN Adapter
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@kali:~# 
thanks! i needed to create a filter(a blank one worked because the device appeared as a composite), i also enabled usb3, thanks1
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Mickyel wrote:a blank one worked because the device appeared as a composite
Try to find any common denominator for the way that the device presents itself, and use that. For example I had an older C2-05 Nokia phone, which was presenting itself in 3 modes:
vendorId=0421   productId=0576    "Data Trasfer" 
vendorId=0421   productId=0577    "Nokia Suite" 
vendorId=0421   productId=0578    "Media access"
and these were the filters that I created. If they were more, I'd simply only include "vendorId=0421" (that's Nokia), so everything Nokia would be captured. Only.

A blank filter can be a dangerous thing. You might start losing peripherals, including mouse, keyboard, etc. Try to restrict it somehow...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mickyel

Post by Mickyel »

Ok, i have done that, thanks!