Laggy Windows 10 Guest On Windows 10 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
willowen100

Laggy Windows 10 Guest On Windows 10 Host

Post by willowen100 »

Hi

I've installed Windows 10 guest machine onto a Windows 10 host and even with the VirtualBox Additions installed and going through trying various combinations of settings I can still not get the guest to perform smoothly at all.

The interesting thing is the YouTube video found here

youtu.be/88isPOPkscE

I did showcasing an early version of Windows 10 guest machine running on a Windows 7 host and version 4... of VirtualBox (if I remember correctly), displayed onto my second monitor displayed at 1920x1080p and using a screen recorder to capture the entire of the second monitor worked flawlessly. I would like to re-do this video again but it's completely impractical as I'm waiting for the mouse and keyboard to catch up on the guest machine.

Could someone please shed some light here please?

Many thanks

Will
OS Windows 10 Pro N x64 (1709), SSD Corsair Neutron Series XTi 480GB, HDD HGST 4TB 7200RPM, Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2, CPU Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz (OC), RAM Crucial & Kingston1800MHz (OC), GPU AMD Radeon R9 390 Series 8GB, Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T, Liquid Cooling Hydro Series H110i
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Laggy Windows 10 Guest On Windows 10 Host

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
willowen100

Post by willowen100 »

Hi socratis

Sorry for the delayed reply I've been a little busy but I've managed to find five minutes to run my VB machine and get these logs to you.

Thanks for your help in this matter

Will
Attachments
Windows 10 Clone-2018-03-15-11-08-29.zip
VBox.log
(37.52 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
OS Windows 10 Pro N x64 (1709), SSD Corsair Neutron Series XTi 480GB, HDD HGST 4TB 7200RPM, Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2, CPU Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz (OC), RAM Crucial & Kingston1800MHz (OC), GPU AMD Radeon R9 390 Series 8GB, Case Corsair Graphite Series 760T, Liquid Cooling Hydro Series H110i
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.463772 supR3HardenedErrorV: supR3HardenedScreenImage/NtCreateSection: rc=VERR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT fImage=1
        fProtect=0x5 fAccess=0x2 \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c0323831.
        inf_amd64_1212be4b9fe2386c\atikmdag.sys:
Your ATI drivers seems to be facing some hardening issue. Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines/ideas.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
willowen100

Post by willowen100 »

Hello

Thank you for your reply and sorry the long delay.

I have turned off my AV, checked Windows 10 with '/sfc scannow' command and I've updated my AMD GPU drivers but I'm not sure I've resolved the issue. I came across that it's recommended to turn Hyper -V off. I do have virtualization turned on in the BIOS but if I need to disable it, do I disable Hyper -V in Windows 10 OS or shall I turn it off in the BIOS itself?

I'm currently compiling some firmware using an Ubuntu guest on my Windows 10 host and I have not installed the Guest Additions yet. There is some lag but I haven't changed any of the settings; I just went with the default settings and installed Ubuntu. How do I quickly diagnose if I'm getting a hardening issue as the log is quite long and it would be effective if I could filter down to the information I need to see?

Many thanks

Will
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

willowen100 wrote:but I'm not sure I've resolved the issue.
If you can start a VM, your problem is resolved. Also, had you read the FAQ, you'd know that if you get an ExitCode of ZERO (0), you have no hardening issues.
willowen100 wrote:I came across that it's recommended to turn Hyper -V off.
That's nothing to do with hardening, that's with the availability of VT-x.
willowen100 wrote:using an Ubuntu guest on my Windows 10 host
That answers the first part of the question... ;)
willowen100

Post by willowen100 »

If my understanding is correct if there is no problems when a guest OS is shut down there should be ExitCode's of 0 shown at the very bottom of the log?

Whilst in the hardening log I noticed a lot of the following lines:

Code: Select all

supR3HardenedMonitor_LdrLoadDll: returns rcNt=0x0 hMod=00007ffad51a0000 'C:\Windows\System32\OPENGL32.dll'
I take it they are normal and of that quantity?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There is a lot of guess work in figuring out the VBoxHardening.log, and I don't think anyone except the developers can. If you're not getting an error, you're probably all set.