VB 5.2.6 Audio issues (#17469)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
PalsyP

VB 5.2.6 Audio issues (#17469)

Post by PalsyP »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17469: VB 5.2.6 Audio issues]
I'm not sure why my post was deleted, maybe because of the sarcasm? I apologise. Anyway, without the sarcasm...

I think v5.2.6 messed up the audio - after a while, it goes distorted & echo-y. Tried un-ticking "Audio Input" (new on Status Bar), no dice. Even tried reverting to 5.2.2, but the GUI still looks like 5.2.6. I made a capture of what this audio on VB does now, but I can't post links.

Is this just me?
Last edited by socratis on 17. Jan 2018, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB 5.2.6 Audio issues (#17469)

Post by socratis »

I didn't see your first message, but I guess so, judging from mpack's answer. I know I deleted a 2nd post of yours because it was in a completely unrelated thread, and you already had a thread of your own.

And then you created a ticket as well. One thing you got to remember is that the chances of an issue getting looked at, does not increase proportionally to how many times you bring it up; on the contrary. A well defined case, with logs to support it has a much better chance of being looked at.

So, take a look at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/AudioDebug and act accordingly...

PS. "Audio issues" is as a generic description as they come. You should be more precise in your descriptions...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PalsyP

Post by PalsyP »

To be fair, I attached a screencast link to my ticket to show, or in this case, to let you listen to what the sound is like (I can't post links here until 24hours)...... It is hard to explain..... Then I attached the log to the ticket.......

1. I don't see any .wav files saved to my temp folder - even though I did VBoxManage setextradata <Name-of-VM> "VBoxInternal2/Audio/Debug/Enabled" "true".

2. Just tried WMP with an MP3, and it sounds like it's breaking up, crackling.
mschnell

Post by mschnell »

With the previous version of Virtual box I got the "crackling after running audio for a while" issue with all Audio settings but with "Soundblaster".
With Soundblaster, another issue appeared: at some seemingly random time (usually some hours), the audio (and video) output changes to half speed and only gets back to normal with a new launch of the client.

Now with 5.2.6 the issue with the other audio settings is the same while "Soundblaster" results in the Client OS detecting no audio interface any more.

-Michael
mschnell

Post by mschnell »

Oracle:
We rather urgently need Help with this issue !

Thanks,
-Michael
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

This is a forum from users for users. It is not a communcaiions channel to Oracle.
Please contact your Oracle support representative.
PalsyP

Post by PalsyP »

So glad other people have the same issue......

FWIW, here's the screencast of the sound - http://www.screencast.com/t/98kW3skJVejU - you can hear it after 23 secs......

How do I safely revert back to a previous version? I tried uninstalling 5.2.6, then installing a 5.2.x, but I still get this issue, not to mention the GUI is still 5.2.6
laurenadams
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by laurenadams »

I started using VB with 5.2.2 and have had this issue in every version since.
PalsyP

Post by PalsyP »

I will say this though, I have been having video and audio sync problems for a few versions, the audio was behind by 1 second...... When I upgraded to 5.2.6, it seems this sync issue fixed itself.....

Now I have this new issue with bad audio.... Always the way, fix one thing, get another issue.......
Kunan

Post by Kunan »

Hello, I have the same problem.
I use VirtualBox with WinXp under MacOS High Sierra.
Before this last update, everything worked just fine.
Now, no sound at all.

I haven't changed anything, just updated the VirtualBox version and the sound was gone.

Any news about it?
Any solution you have found?

Thanks a lot for your time and for any answer received
PalsyP

Post by PalsyP »

Kunan wrote:Now, no sound at all.
I get sound, but it is distorted, overlaps itself, breaking up, crackling..... You might have a different issue than I do.
raymondjpg

Post by raymondjpg »

laurenadams wrote:I started using VB with 5.2.2 and have had this issue in every version since.
In my experience the AC'97 audio has always had issues, some of which were addressable by tweaking display settings. I think from what is reported here, and from my own experience, the audio is worse with 5.2.6 than it has been previously. While I have no other option than to use the AC'97 drivers I put up with it, but I would prefer to see some other options that work without the persistent audio breakup, crackling and other distortions reported by many users over the years.
PalsyP

Post by PalsyP »

I have some updates.

If I disable and enable Audio Output (on the status bar) when the audio gets really bad, this fixes it a bit, but only for a while, then rinse, repeat.

So, these 2 new options, Audio Output and Audio Input, what is the point of them? Why did they get added? To which version? Obviously, these, AFAICS, are (contributing to) the reasons for my issue..... I only noticed these options in 5.2.6.....
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

PalsyP wrote:So, these 2 new options, Audio Output and Audio Input, what is the point of them? Why did they get added? To which version?
The point of enabling/disabling Audio In/Out? I believe it's self explanatory, no? You've seen devices that have the "mute" button, right? Same concept. They were added in version 5.2.0, check your User Manual ch. 15.
PalsyP wrote:Obviously, these, AFAICS, are (contributing to) the reasons for my issue.
Everybody wishes that it was that simple... It's not, trust me.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AlexMK

Post by AlexMK »

After installing 5.2.6, it became almost impossible to use some applications on Win Guest (for example Google Hangouts). The sound is initially just crackling, but then I get continuous noise. But other application (Youtube videos) works better.

It strange, but I did not have any problems with sound before 5.2. *. With 5.1.* sound works like a charm.