Need same network address as host.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
on3wheels
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Mint

Need same network address as host.

Post by on3wheels »

Greetings!
First, I'm sorry if this is posted else where I just couldn't find it. On my host, I'm running Windows 7. I have two VM, one is Windows 10 and the other is Linux Mint. My host network is 10.0.0.0 and my Linux VM is running on 10.0.2.0 with a IPv4 address 10.0.2.15 and routing through 10.0.2.2. I'm trying to get my VM systems to use the same network address as the host. I've read through much of the documentation and really can't find an answer. Everything works as is, but I have a need to install a copy of Win95 in orer to interface with a Novel 3.0 system. I ask that you please stop laughing. Windows Hyper-V won't do it. So, if someone can point me in the right direction, I would truly be thankful.

Thanks everyone in advance for helping...

Chuck
Last edited by mpack on 19. Nov 2017, 10:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary color markup.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Need same network address as host.

Post by BillG »

I am not surprised that you could not find any help. No two devices in a network can have the same address. This is not a VirtualBox issue. It applies to any devices in any IP network.

If you mean that you want your guests to use the same IP subnet as your host, that is possible. You would use bridged networking, not the default setting of NAT. Does your host network have a DHCP server?
Bill
on3wheels
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux Mint

Post by on3wheels »

Hey Bill:
I completely understand about duplicate IP addresses. I want them on the network address, 10.0.0.0 for testing. Yes, router issues out the ip addressing. I thought about Bridge mode, but wasn't sure. As far as finding an answer, I really don't have the patience to read every post about networking... Thought it best after a few articles to just post the question. Thank you for your response.

Chuck
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

And did you try bridged? If you have a DHCP server on your LAN, the vms should behave just like physical machines on the LAN and get their network config from DHCP.
Bill