Internet connection

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
nanaelise

Internet connection

Post by nanaelise »

Hello

I am working on windows 7 and I woud need to install gfrotran compiler on the VM. I am not able to since the internet connection on hte VM is not working.

Could you help me ?

Anna
chimpa codigo

Re: Internet connection

Post by chimpa codigo »

Which Operating system are you installing on the virtual box that's having internet connections?

Sometimes working directly with just a Nat setup makes it easier to connect to the internet.

If you have a Nat and Host-Only setup it becomes somewhat more troublesome with the connections based upon the DHCP server colliding with other IP addresses.

There are also some issues involving iptable access which opening ports will allow (just look at most only iptables tutorials and you should get what I'm talking about).

If it's just windows7 on the virtual machine, it might just be a basic NAT issue, or no adapter installed at all, which happens at times, and isn't anything to gloat about, but a better option would be to display your log file for that particular bootup so that we can hopefully stop guestimating and get right down to the root problem. :)
nanaelise

Post by nanaelise »

thank you for your reply but I have on the VM linux installed

my internet connection on the host machine (windows 7) is DHCP. I tried with NAT settins on the VM but it is not working and I am not at all an expert I I am not sure to know how to proceed to make it works..

If you any precise indication to solve the problem it would be great.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I have never known NAT to fail unless the guest OS is wrongly configured. If you are on a LAN with a DHCP server, bridged mode should also work.

Are the host and guest both running Windows 7? With you vm set to use NAT, start the vm, open a command prompt and type ipconfig then press Enter. Post the output here. The output of an ipconfig on the host would also help.
Bill
Chetan
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: RHEL 7.3

Post by Chetan »

Am facing something similar as well. My host is windows 10, Virtual box version 5.1 & guest is RHEL 7.3.

Unable to setup internet connection in the guest & unable setup and use shared folders as well.

Would appreciate any references or tips to resolve the issue.