Need help to diagnose a problem.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Deng666

Need help to diagnose a problem.

Post by Deng666 »

I created a VM of Windows 2000, and it just can't boot.
It stuck in the "Microsoft Windows 2000 professional" scene.

The vdi file is ok because it works correctly on another computers.

I just don't know how to deal with it.

I will attach the log file here.
Attachments
VBox.log.1.txt
log file
(92.53 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by Deng666 on 23. Aug 2017, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Need help to diagnose a problem.

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't see anything in the log that seems out of place, though I'm no expert. They'll be along shortly...

But this is interesting:
Deng666 wrote:The vhi file is ok because it works correctly on another computers.
'vhi' = vhd, or vdi? And was this guest OS running under Virtualbox on the other computers? How did you move the guest to this computer?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Deng666 wrote: The vhi file is ok because it works correctly on another computers.
Faulty logic. You have never used this file on other computers, therefore the above statement does not hold up. The file on this host is a copy. I would start by checking that the md5 checksum of this copy matches that of a working copy on another PC.

I see that the VM uses snapshots (for some reason), or is a linked clone, so I'm not at all sure what you have working on another PC.

If possible I would like to see the .vbox file for this VM (zip it and attach it to a post).
Deng666

Post by Deng666 »

scottgus1 wrote:I don't see anything in the log that seems out of place, though I'm no expert. They'll be along shortly...

But this is interesting:
Deng666 wrote:The vhi file is ok because it works correctly on another computers.
'vhi' = vhd, or vdi? And was this guest OS running under Virtualbox on the other computers? How did you move the guest to this computer?
yes, it is a vdi file. sorry for my bad spelling.
Deng666

Post by Deng666 »

mpack wrote:
Deng666 wrote: The vhi file is ok because it works correctly on another computers.
Faulty logic. You have never used this file on other computers, therefore the above statement does not hold up. The file on this host is a copy. I would start by checking that the md5 checksum of this copy matches that of a working copy on another PC.

I see that the VM uses snapshots (for some reason), or is a linked clone, so I'm not at all sure what you have working on another PC.

If possible I would like to see the .vbox file for this VM (zip it and attach it to a post).
Thanks for your attention,man.
The reason that I used this file is that I am having a security class and the lecturer just shared a vdi file to us to boot the windows 2000 on our own PCs.
Other people's VMs are working well...Mine is the only one that stuck... T_T...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Did the instructor give you just the vdi file itself and tell you how to set the guest settings? Or was a folder given to you containing the vdi and a .vbox file, too?
Deng666 wrote:I created a VM of Windows 2000, and it just can't boot.It stuck in the "Microsoft Windows 2000 professional" scene.
All Virtualbox provides is virtualized "hardware" for the guest OS to use. If your guest Virtualbox window opens, and anything within the guest OS starts showing, then the guest has booted for Virtualbox purposes, ie, the "hardware" has turned on. If the guest's data, though, is bad, then the guest OS may hang. But if there are not Virtualbox errors (you didn't mention any) then the issue is within the guest's OS data, not Virtualbox.

The log shows VT-x being on and used, which is good, so the usual suspect is innocent this time. The log also shows a Virtualbox window running happily for some 6 minutes, then the guest was hard-powered-off. No major errors or guru meditations.

I was going to recommend Mpack's recommendation: run a hash on the teacher's source copy and yours. But in booting on your Virtualbox the vdi's data might have changed; even a single bit will throw off the hash result. Re-copy the teacher's vdi, and hash them both before running the guest, being sure the hashes are the same before booting. And doublecheck all the settings, in case just the VDI was given.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

There is still the matter that the log shows difference images being used. No sign of the base disk. The teacher would not distribute difference images, and it wouldn't work if he did. Therefore we still don't have the complete story.

That's why I asked to see the .vbox file.
Deng666

Post by Deng666 »

scottgus1 wrote:Did the instructor give you just the vdi file itself and tell you how to set the guest settings? Or was a folder given to you containing the vdi and a .vbox file, too?
Deng666 wrote:I created a VM of Windows 2000, and it just can't boot.It stuck in the "Microsoft Windows 2000 professional" scene.
All Virtualbox provides is virtualized "hardware" for the guest OS to use. If your guest Virtualbox window opens, and anything within the guest OS starts showing, then the guest has booted for Virtualbox purposes, ie, the "hardware" has turned on. If the guest's data, though, is bad, then the guest OS may hang. But if there are not Virtualbox errors (you didn't mention any) then the issue is within the guest's OS data, not Virtualbox.

The log shows VT-x being on and used, which is good, so the usual suspect is innocent this time. The log also shows a Virtualbox window running happily for some 6 minutes, then the guest was hard-powered-off. No major errors or guru meditations.

I was going to recommend Mpack's recommendation: run a hash on the teacher's source copy and yours. But in booting on your Virtualbox the vdi's data might have changed; even a single bit will throw off the hash result. Re-copy the teacher's vdi, and hash them both before running the guest, being sure the hashes are the same before booting. And doublecheck all the settings, in case just the VDI was given.
Thanks, man.
For this log,I just shut down the virtual-box intentionally,because I tried so many times and nothing happen.So the log shows that the vm just turn off after 6 minutes.
I asked my lecturer yesterday, he said that the image may has some problems. I just let it go.

So thanks all of you guys here, thank you for the community~
dlharper
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

I'm not sure quite how far into the process you have got. If it is at the installation stage, then note that there is a known timing bug in the Windows 2000 installation routine which shows up on virtual installation when installing from an ISO image. To get round this slow down the virtual IDE controller:

1. Open a command-line box and CD to VirtualBox program directory - probably "C:\Program files\Oracle\VirtualBox"

2. Enter:
VBoxManage setextradata "<VM name>" "VBoxInternal/Devices/piix3ide/0/Config/IRQDelay" 1
where <VM name> is the name of the virtual machine

3. Install Windows 2000

4. After installation of operating system, restore full speed by issuing the same command as in (2) above, but omitting the final figure "1". (The command-line box can be left open throughout to facilitate this.)