Formating samsung m3 portable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Igor77

Formating samsung m3 portable

Post by Igor77 »

Hi,

I recently bought samsung m3 portable external drive, but I don't read properly the description that the drive works best for Mac OS. I have on my host pc Windows 10. I have installed samsung manager but the app don't work properly on Windows 10 and I'm stuck now I can't format the drive. I have Windows XP SP3 as guest OS and I have enabled USB 3.0 controller but still not luck the drive is not recognized in the guest OS.

Please help for other steps how I can format this drive from inside guest OS. Is it possible that?

Tnx, Igor
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Formating samsung m3 portable

Post by mpack »

Does the drive appear in "Disk Management" on your host?

BTW, I don't see how this is a VirtualBox question. Your problem is with Windows, Samsung, and the drive. Your problems will be the same regardless of whether the Windows machine is physical or virtual, which means it isn't a problem with VirtualBox. I would use Google for advice on reformatting the drive, or contact Samsung support.
Igor77

Post by Igor77 »

Yes the disk appear, but it can't be formatted, as I mentioned there is app for doing that on Windows but 7 or 8 version or XP. I know that the place for this post it's not here but I need help to be recognized in virtualbox in XP guest OS, so I don't need to do dual boot.

One point I like to mention in Device Manager USB controller driver its not recognized, tried to install usb driver for that but still no luck. From VB settings I checked 3.0 usb for XP.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Igor77 wrote:I don't read properly the description that the drive works best for Mac OS
There is NO hard drive that works better or worse with a specific OS, as long as the OS and your hardware supports an external hard drive (a USB3 in your case).
Igor77 wrote:I have installed samsung manager but the app don't work properly on Windows 10 and I'm stuck now I can't format the drive.
Using Windows native tools (disk management). As mpack said, search for it.
Igor77 wrote:I have Windows XP SP3 as guest OS and I have enabled USB 3.0 controller but still not luck the drive is not recognized in the guest OS.
Because USB3 is not supported by Windows XP. You need to install the Renesas drivers in your Windows XP guest. The instructions are USB 3.0 support in XP guests.

USB3 is not supported in Windows 7 either. You need to install the Intel drivers in your Windows 7 guest. The drivers can be downloaded from here.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

... and with the correct drivers installed I suspect the formatting issue will turn out to be a red herring. I'm glad to hear that no external drive works only with OS X, I thought it might be a BIOS supported encryption thing.
Igor77

Post by Igor77 »

U are right. I installed the extensible host controller drivers on Windows 7 guest OS i just delete the partition but formating not working.

Also I'm trying with Mac OS Sierra but not luck :(

Is there any chance how this can be fixed?
Last edited by socratis on 27. Mar 2017, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I am fairly sure that the actual drive is a seagate so you would format it as any other drive. Since you are running a Windows host use the disk manager to do what ever you want. If you are unfamiliar with this approach then google format drive with Windows disk manager. You will find plenty of tutorials.
Igor77

Post by Igor77 »

One thing I forgot to mention and now gives me more feel that maybe the drive is malfunctioned is that when I put the usb on my laptop my whole laptop freezes, for example if the drive is attached on my laptop and I l like to boot the windows, windows is just stuck and booting not working until i detach the drive.

Maybe it's best to contact to seller and to replace with good one.

Tnx everyone for replying and trying to help.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Mar 2017, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Post by erdeslawe »

You shouldn't attach any new Drive to a Windows computer until your OS has booted and is fully operational!