Moving from Mac Parallels To Windows host virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
drewex
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Windows 8.1

Moving from Mac Parallels To Windows host virtualbox

Post by drewex »

Hello All, I recently bought myself a new windows laptop and wanted to port over my VM's from parallels on my old mac. Based on the many entries online I used VMware convertion to convert over (I guess I didnt need to realized later on parallels disk actually works)
After setting up the drive on virtualbox realized some apps required reregistration. the bios serials (according to web search) were not transfered over so i had to set hardware UUID
using wmic bios get serialnumber i got the serial
Parallels-12 84 ..........

Code: Select all

modifyvm “wi” –hardwareuuid “{128d...-....-....-....-.......6c1}”
 "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata “Wi” “VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemUuid” “string:[128d...-....-....-....-.......6c1]”
 "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata “Wi” "VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" “string:{Parallels-12 84 .......}”
now when i use
using wmic bios get serialnumber i got the same serial but still getting registration requirements. what am I missing?

If it was parallels to parallels on a different machine all would work so this should work same way. I should be able to keep my software as it is right?

on the side question, editing the vmbox xml file directly wouldnt that do the same thing instead of cmd prompt commands?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Moving from Mac Parallels To Windows host virtualbox

Post by mpack »

using wmic bios get serialnumber i got the same serial but still getting registration requirements. what am I missing?
What "registration requirements" do you mean? Are you talking about guest software that needs to be reactivated? If so then there's no way to avoid that. The guest software (including perhaps the OS) correctly identifies new hardware, including (I assume) a new CPU? Changing a couple of DMI numbers won't really do anything to change that.

No problem, just reactivate.
drewex
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Windows 8.1

Post by drewex »

Yes the software reactivation was what I meant. The office I have doesn't allow another registration sadly, I will have to buy new license to get around the problem. Wish there was a way to keep the activation licensed transferred over.
Last edited by socratis on 26. Mar 2017, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

drewex wrote:The office I have doesn't allow another registration sadly, I will have to buy new license to get around the problem
Unregister it on the old Mac you're not using anymore and reregister it on the new Windows laptop.