Nested virtualization - Ubuntu Server 16.10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
marius_1956
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server

Nested virtualization - Ubuntu Server 16.10

Post by marius_1956 »

Looking around the web I found dozens of pages with contradictory and imaginative statements, so let ma ask here for a serious answer: given an Intel I7 PC running Windows 10 64 bit and VirtualBox 5.1.18, is is possible to perform nested virtualization running KVM inside an Ubuntu 16.10 server guest VM?
On the same PC I can perform nested virtualization by using VMware Player 12.x.
Regards
marius
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nested virtualization - Ubuntu Server 16.10

Post by socratis »

As far as I know, a KVM host needs a VT-x enabled computer. Since VirtualBox does not pass the VT-x to the guest, a VirtualBox guest cannot act as a KVM host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
marius_1956
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Server

Post by marius_1956 »

Many thanks.
So, the checkbox "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" in the "Acceleration" tab does not work, is it correct?
Regards
Marius
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Oh, yes, it does work. Did you read the User Manual, or even the tooltip on that control/option? Just hover over the control for a second or two...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.