Linux Mint guest crashes when 3D is enabled and working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
repoman

Linux Mint guest crashes when 3D is enabled and working

Post by repoman »

Hi all,

I have tried both VirtualBox 5.0.32 and 5.1.14 both with guest extensions enabled in the Linux Mint 18.1 guest. Once they are working properly, everything seems okay for a few minutes, but I will eventually get a crash with VirtualBox.exe: application error, and a message that says something like the instruction at 0x000000000591F8BC referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be read. I can reasonably reliably reproduce the problem by opening, closing and using google chrome in the guest, and within a few minutes will get the error. Sometimes the title of the error message will include "NVOGLDC invisible" as well. The VM will work fine forever if 3D is disabled.

Here's the concise info:

VB version: 5.0.32 and 5.1.14, both with the appropriate guest additions installed in different guests
Host: 64 bit Windows 10 with 16GB memory
Guest: 64 bit Mint 18.1 with 6GB allocated
Logs: attached.

I've found similar issues in previous bug reports but all are marked as fixed.

I appreciate any help.

edit: I also tried changing the OS to Ubuntu (64 bit) since I was using the generic LInux 64bit before, but still can recreate the same issue.
Attachments
VBox.zip
vbox and vboxhardening logs
(64.88 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
repoman

Re: Linux Mint guest crashes when 3D is enabled and working

Post by repoman »

Okay, based on a suggestion I found in a thread in the "Linux guests" forum, it looks like disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome stops the crashes. I wonder if this is a bug worth reporting?

Side note, the colors are totally different in 3D mode vs. software mode as well. It's for development so it doesn't matter, just thought it was interesting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Linux Mint guest crashes when 3D is enabled and working

Post by socratis »

repoman wrote:I wonder if this is a bug worth reporting?
It has been reported. With plenty of duplicate reports to go along with it, so, no.
Bugtracker results searching for "Chrome": https://www.virtualbox.org/query?descri ... r=priority
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.