AMD-V

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
kicker10bog

AMD-V

Post by kicker10bog »

Hello, I am currently having issues with running Virtualbox on my windows 10 PC.

Every time I try to boot, it tells me AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS. Unfortunately, have been unable to get into the BIOS because my USB keyboard apparently does not work until Windows 10 is ready, so hitting "Delete" does nothing even though it should open the BIOS. (I even turned off "Fast Boot" and disabled Hibernation.)

Not being able to get into the BIOS, I decided to do some research and see if my BIOS would even have that option. It does not look like it would. In fact, I aw nothing about virtualization in the manual for it.

The attached zip file contains VBoxHardening.log

And here is a screenshot of my System Information

Any help (or just ideas) would be appreciated.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(21.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: AMD-V

Post by mpack »

Why did you provide the hardening log? You obviously don't have an issue caused by hardening.

And, not that this is a VirtualBox problem, but did your PC come with a USB keyboard? If yes then I'd have expected your host BIOS to support USB keyboards. It shouldn't require Windows to boot up.

If you have a problem enabling AMD-v then you need to contact your PC manufacturer about that. There is no way around it, and nothing that we here can do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

kicker10bog wrote:Not being able to get into the BIOS
Well, that's quite a big problem right there and if the source of the problem is in your BIOS, there's nothing we can do. But it may very well be something other than that. Take a look at the following: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. It may help you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kicker10bog

Post by kicker10bog »

I figured you wouldn't be able to help me, but I wanted to cover all bases and the guidelines say to upload that log file, so I did.

Thank you for a quick response though.

I always planned on contacting a manufacturer but, again, wanted to cover my bases.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

kicker10bog wrote:the guidelines say to upload that log file
In fact, as far as I'm aware, they don't. The guidelines say to upload the VM log (i.e. VBox.log). But, thanks for at least being one of the few who reads the guidelines.
kicker10bog

Post by kicker10bog »

mpack wrote:
kicker10bog wrote:the guidelines say to upload that log file
In fact, as far as I'm aware, they don't. The guidelines say to upload the VM log (i.e. VBox.log). But, thanks for at least being one of the few who reads the guidelines.
Here is a link to the guidelines I followed: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67840
After seeing your comment I looked for more guidelines and found this, the "minimum information needed for assistance" guidelines: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=67840

Please, if there is an updated version I should always go to, let me know in case I need to post on here again in the future. I really do want to know as I like to try to respect the rules of any forum.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:If you have a problem enabling AMD-v then you need to contact your PC manufacturer about that. There is no way around it, and nothing that we here can do.
socratis wrote:if the source of the problem is in your BIOS, there's nothing we can do.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.