Logs too big

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
feleon99

Logs too big

Post by feleon99 »

Hallo,

so ich habe hier Kontakt mit dem Admin aus Dresden aufgenommen und leider keine Antwort erhalten. Folgendes Virtual Box erzeugt log files mit 160kb, diese kann ich hier aber nicht im Forum hochladen da die Begrenzung bei 128Kib liegt. Fixed das mal bitte !!!

Grüße
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: +++bitte lesen+++Admin++++

Post by scottgus1 »

Zipped logs always fit. Please zip them.

Also please explain what the problem is, along with any error message you get.
feleon99

Re: Logs too big

Post by feleon99 »

hey scottgus1,

thank you for your Answer! Hm yeah that is true that a .zip file is smaller then the normal file. But where is the problem to change the maximum size from the file!? For the Users is the work doubled. I must change it to .zip and the Forum user must extract the file. It is shorter if i can upload the .txt file with 160 kb. That is not enourmes space....dude :wink:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Though there is an extra step, using zips is just the way it is. Just have to endure it. Forum gurus don't mind the unzip apparently, and it has never caused me trouble.
feleon99

Post by feleon99 »

Thank you for your answer Scottgus1. Yes that might be true to endure it, but we have now the year 2020 and Disk Space is very cheap! If you have 100 txt files that would be 200 mb of disk space. That is nothing. You write that you have no trouble with .zip files... but i think .txt files also supported on each PC :roll:
I think you should consider that a "normal" User can be overchallenged with that and will cancel the Topic because he dont now that he must .zip to upload it.
If you still want to restrict the maximum file size to 128 kib..... please write in the Button "Upload Attachment" Zip the files. I think it would help some PC users to complete a Topic which is begun.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

feleon99 wrote:a "normal" User can be overchallenged with that
The vast majority of them don't. In the eleven years that I have been on the forum, many folks have said the logs were too big, but right away zipped and posted successfully when forum helpers asked for zips.

There has been only one person in eleven years that I helped, that had a problem understanding how to zip something. They did figure it out eventually and got help.
feleon99 wrote:I think you should consider... please write in the Button "Upload Attachment" Zip the files
We on the forum, even the volunteers and mods, are only free Virtualbox users who have zero say in how the forum decisions are made. Feel free to PM forum admin Klaus to ask. But I think this suggestion will not go anywhere. It has been asked before on several occasions and has been negated each time. Any further asking on the forum will simply be a waste of time, as we cannot change anything.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

feleon99 wrote:and Disk Space is very cheap!
Easy to say when someone else is paying for it!
feleon99 wrote:but i think .txt files also supported on each PC :roll:
Actually not true. ".txt" varies widely on different platforms (different character sets, different newline conventions, different treatment of tabs). There is no controlling standard, unlike zip - which is standardized and supported on every popular PC since the 1980s, and actually built natively into every OS since the 2000s. I'm not saying that text files are a big problem, but if you want to complain that one is more standard than the other then you best get your facts straight! :)

I like the forum limits where they are, no matter how cheap disk space may be. It stops people deluging the volunteers with unwanted information.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

If it were my forum, I'd enlarge the limit to 256 kB, so that the majority of single VBox.log files would fit (*). The additional roundtrip between the users and the forum regulars would maybe cost Oracle more money than the hard disk space, if Oracle had to pay for the (additional) work and time. Additionally, it would also show some appreciation for the work of the moderators and the volunteers. (But I'm not complaining, because I could leave anytime if I wanted.)

(*) I'm aware that the VBoxHardening.log file would still not fit in many cases, but since they usually do not come without a VBox.log file, a zip archive would make sense anyway.