VirtualBox startet unsichtbar unter Win10

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Chrisi00

VirtualBox startet unsichtbar unter Win10

Post by Chrisi00 »

Hallo VirtualBox Community,

Nach erfolgreicher installation startet VirtualBox bei meinem Win10 Pro System nicht korrekt. Die GUI startet nicht und in der Taskleiste sehe ich kein Symbol. Allerdings sehe ich im Task-Manager die Prozesse VirtualBox Manager, VirtualBox Interface und VirtualBox Global Interface. Ich habe dies mit mehreren Versionen getestet (Version 6.1, Version 5.2) jeweils mit dem selben Resultat :(
Ich habe zuvor Win10 Pro komplett neu installiert.
Im Bios habe ich SVM Mode aktiviert und ich sehe im Task Manager unter "Leistung", dass Virtualisierung aktiviert ist.

Ich habe folgendes System:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS Prime A320M-K
Radeon RX 590
Win10 Pro Version 1909

Ich habe dasselbe Setup noch ein zweites Mal (gleiche CPU, gleiches Mainboard) dort funktioniert VirtualBox einwandfrei Unter Win 10 Pro. Welche Unterschiede es da geben soll weiß ich nicht.

Ich habe dann auch Win10 neu auf einen USB Stick installiert. Auf einem Rechner startet VirtualBox, auf dem anderen nicht.

Ich habe zudem über Win 10 Hyper-V eine VM erfolgreich starten können (ebenfalls Win10) und dort startet in der VM VirtualBox plötzlich auch.

Es wäre nett von Euch, wenn Ihr mir Schritte erklären könntet, um das Problem einzukreisen und zu beheben.

Gruß
chrisi00
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox startet unsichtbar unter Win10

Post by scottgus1 »

Hyper-V blocks Virtualbox. If you turned Hyper-V or any services that use Hyper-V, your Virtualbox may not work well or at all.

Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Chrisi00

Post by Chrisi00 »

Hello scottgus1,

thanks for your kind support.
I have some troubles to follow your advice as I'm no expert in all the options Win10 is offering.
scottgus1 wrote:Hyper-V blocks Virtualbox. If you turned Hyper-V or any services that use Hyper-V, your Virtualbox may not work well or at all.
I turned on Hyper-V only for one test where I used Hyper-V manager to start a VM for Win10 OS. Inside of the VM I installed VirtualBox and it worked. Afterwards I turned off Hyper-V for all mentioned tests.
scottgus1 wrote:Start the guest from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the guest from within the guest OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the guest with the Power Off option set.
I followed the steps successful.
scottgus1 wrote:Right-click the guest in the main Virtualbox window's guest list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I don't know where I can find the guest list. Can you please advice which steps I need to perform in detail?

Thank you in advance.
chrisi00
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The guest list is the left pane of the main Virtualbox window where you see the tiles showing the names of the guests that you have installed in Virtualbox. Click on each guest's tile in the list and the Settings for that guest appear in the right pane. Right-click the tile to get to Show Log.
Chrisi00

Post by Chrisi00 »

You missed my problem statement completely :D

The GUI does not start at all. There is no chance to get the main VirtualBox main window visible.

I spent some hours to read the threads from the last couple of years and I found following discussions with more or less the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97962

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=97261

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=96940

It seems for nobody of the affected users there was a solution or there was no feedback.

The idea to move the .VirtualBox folder to the desktop does not solve the issue for Win10 Pro version.

I did the same for Win10 Education version. Here it helped !!!

Then, I copied the .VirtualBox folder from my Win10 Education version to the Win10 Pro installation. VirtualBox is starting now also there !!!

I cannot say which of the files are required.

Use this procedure for all users having the same issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

You're right, I did not understand that you were discussing the main Virtualbox window. I thought it was a VM that was not starting.

The suggestion to move the .Virtualbox folder is in the links you posted. Moving the .Virtualbox folder, when done properly, and assuming nothing else is wrong on the host PC, causes the main Virtualbox window to reset. The guest list empties, Virtualbox knows nothing about the guests you have, and all File menu Preferences are reset. This happens because all of the configuration information for the main Virtualbox window is stored in '.Virtualbox\Virtualbox.xml'. A new '.Virtualbox' folder with a new 'Virtualbox.xml' is made, and the main Virtualbox window should behave as when Virtualbox was first installed. All your guests remain behind and can be re-registered using the window's Machine menu Add command.

That this troubleshooting step did not reset the main window on the Win10 Pro host PC does not necessarily mean it doesn't work. If there are any Virtualbox processes stuck running on the PC, there will quite likely be a VboxSVC.exe running, and that process stores Virtualbox.XML and all guest .vboxes in memory. When VboxSVC.exe closes, one of its last acts is to write out to the host disk all the memorized files, which would overwrite anything you may have manually modified or moved, thus putting back the bad xml data and making the main window not open right the next time.

The W10 Education copy must have been done without any Virtualbox processes running, so it could stick and start the main window correctly.

You don't mention rebooting the host so no Virtualbox processes are running first before moving the W10 Pro .Virtualbox folder (or the Education copy). This step is essential to prevent overwrite by or replacement of bad data as shown above.

Some folks only have one PC so getting another PC's copy of the .Virtualbox folder might not be practical. The copied Virtualbox.xml may also have lots of spurious data that does not apply to the new host PC.

When the reboot and move is done correctly, and nothing else is wrong on the PC, the main Virtualbox folder resets and opens fresh. I think that on your PC there was something wrong in the old .Virtualbox\Virtualbox.xml. There was still a Virtualbox process running when you tried to move the .Virtualbox folder the first time, and there were no Virtualbox processes running when you tried the copy from the other PC.

Good googling skills for finding a solution that fit your problem, and we're glad you're up and running!