Alte VM wiederherstellen ohne *.iso?

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
noob24

Alte VM wiederherstellen ohne *.iso?

Post by noob24 »

Hallo Zusammen,

leider musste ich mein System neu aufspielen und habe festgestellt, dass mir bei einem Backup eine entscheidende Datei abhanden gekommen ist.
Zur Voraussetzung:
Virtual Box: 6. + extension in Kombination mit Ubuntu 16.04 (x64)

Ich habe die folgenden Dateien "gerettet":

- *.log
- *.sav
- *.Virtual Disk Image (Sicherungspunkte vollständig)
- *.VirtualBox Machine Definition
- *.vbox-prev
Wiederherstellen würde ich gerne meine alte Ubuntu 16.04 Distribution

Mir fehlt dummerweise meine alte *.iso :-(.
Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, das alte System dennoch zum laufen zu kriegen? Gibt es eine Art "rescue .iso"?
oder kann ich die o.g. Dateien nun auch löschen?
Vielen Dank schon Mal vorab
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Alte VM wiederherstellen ohne *.iso?

Post by mpack »

Unfortunately, I had to re-install my system and found that I lost a crucial file during a backup.
Prerequisite:
Virtual Box: 6. + extension in combination with Ubuntu 16.04 (x64)

I have "saved" the following files:

- * .log
- * .sav
- * .Virtual Disk Image
- * .VirtualBox Machine Definition
- * .vbox-prev
I would like to restore my old Ubuntu 16.04 distribution

I am unfortunately missing my old * .iso :-(.
You don't say what was in the ISO. In any case the ISO (i.e. the contents of any CD) should not be necessary after the Ubuntu guest OS is installed. Just right click the VM and discard the saved state. Also go into File|Virtaul Media Manager and Release the ISO image.

Do NOT do that if you made the mistake of never installing the Ubuntu OS, i.e. if you've been running it from live CD. I would just try to download a replacement ISO, though it must be an exact match.
noob24

Post by noob24 »

Hi,

well, sorry. I have used the *.iso file for Ubuntu 16.04, which you get on the official ubuntu website.
When I understand it correctly, this is just a virtual disk image, which is not mutable and all informations will be stored on the given hard disk drive.

I am not sure, if more information are added during the runtime.

So, I am going to download this iso file again, copy my old files into the new directory and will see what happens. *Try & Error :-)

Thank you.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

An ISO is an image of a read only data CD, so it is not mutable in VirtualBox. It carries the data needed to install the guest OS, and should ideally be ejected from the virtual CD drive once the OS has been installed.

However - I will warn again: people sometimes make the mistake of running Ubuntu permanently from the CD, as it has a trial mode which allows that. You might not notice if you habitually suspend a VM instead of shutting it down. The demo mode by design makes no changes to the local hard disk (it has no knowledge that the local disk is virtual), instead it uses a RAM disk. Therefore everything done to that demo OS will be lost if the VM is shut down or restarted. If this was your scenario then you would need to recover the VM without resetting, and then copy out any files you wish to save.
noob24

Post by noob24 »

nope... its not working. Thank you anyway.