Virtualbox: Meltdown&Spectre

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Spectre-

Virtualbox: Meltdown&Spectre

Post by Spectre- »

Ich wollte mal nachfragen, in wie weit es schon Informationen gibt, wie stark Virtualbox von Meltdown&Spectre betroffen ist. Von Oracle direkt, habe ich bisher keine Antwort erhalten.
Ist VirtualBox selbst anfällig? Wenn ja, wann ist etwa mit Patches zu rechnen?
Müssen die OS-Patches nur für den Host oder auch für die dutzenden Gäste eingespielt werden?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox: Meltdown&Spectre

Post by socratis »

[color=#BF4000]DeepL translator[/color] wrote: I wanted to find out how much information already exists about the extent to which Virtualbox is affected by Meltdown&Spectre. I have not yet received an answer from Oracle directly.
Is VirtualBox itself vulnerable? If so, when are patches expected?
Do the OS patches only have to be played for the host or for the dozens of guests?
  1. Are you an Oracle customer? If yes, ask your Oracle representative for the answer (hint: they won't give you one, not for security issues).
  2. VirtualBox might of might not be vulnerable. It depends on where and how you use it.
  3. Patches are coming in everyday. Intel/AMD with microcode, OSes with patches, applications with patches that break the microcode. Back to the beginning of the sentence (continue from/at #3).
  4. OS patches have to applied to each and every OS, host or guest. And then the new patches, and the newer, and the newest. It's a patch world...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.