RAM Management

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
efix

RAM Management

Post by efix »

Hallo zusammen,

gibt es bei VirtualBox eine Dynamische RAM Belegung ?

VM1 hat bei mir 4 GB RAM wenn ich diese starte sind diese auch direkt auf dem Host belegt. Wäre gut wenn die VM den nicht genutzten RAM wieder dem Host frei gibt für andere VM´s.

Ist das mit VirtualBox möglich ?

Gruß
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: RAM Management

Post by socratis »

[color=#BF8000]Google translate[/color] wrote:Is there a dynamic RAM allocation with VirtualBox?

VM1 has with me 4 GB RAM when I start these are also directly on the host occupied. Would be good if the VM releases the unused RAM back to the host for other VM's.

Is this possible with VirtualBox?
You seem to be talking about "memory ballooning". The RAM does *not* return to the host, it returns to VirtualBox to use it in other VMs. See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82215
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I also wondered: if the VM doesn't need the RAM, why not simply give it less? But I left that response to German language readers in case I was missing something in the (Google) translation.
efix

Post by efix »

socratis wrote:
[color=#BF8000]Google translate[/color] wrote:Is there a dynamic RAM allocation with VirtualBox?

VM1 has with me 4 GB RAM when I start these are also directly on the host occupied. Would be good if the VM releases the unused RAM back to the host for other VM's.

Is this possible with VirtualBox?
You seem to be talking about "memory ballooning". The RAM does *not* return to the host, it returns to VirtualBox to use it in other VMs. See: You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.
Ah ok. Can i see somewhere in VirtualBox a "RAM Management" Section the used ram / the unused ram / to disposal ram ?
mpack wrote:I also wondered: if the VM doesn't need the RAM, why not simply give it less? But I left that response to German language readers in case I was missing something in the (Google) translation.
The VM needed at peak times 3-4 GB RAM.Thats the reason.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

efix wrote:Can i see somewhere in VirtualBox a "RAM Management" Section the used ram / the unused ram / to disposal ram ?
If you are talking about having a GUI about how much RAM you can move, you have free or not, no. You have to keep a record. There is not a command that I know that does that.

And I do not know of a way to return the memory back to the VM that you got it from. Example:
  • You have a VM "1". You allocate 4 GB.
  • You use the memory ballooning, with 2 GB of RAM:
    • VBoxManage controlvm "1" guestmemoryballoon 2048
  • Now, VirtualBox has 2 GB available to give to another VM.
  • I don't know of a way to return that 2 GB back to VM "1", unless VirtualBox does it automatically when "1" needs it. I don't think it does.
  • Try it out. Let us know.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.