VBox Bug Fail 5.1.14r 112924

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Dau4711

VBox Bug Fail 5.1.14r 112924

Post by Dau4711 »

Also...
Ich liste einfach mal ein paar Ungereimtheiten/Bugs auf die mir aufgefallen sind:
BS Win10Pro x64
1) Will man die die VDI erweitern, so muss man die VDI in ein namenskonforme Verzeichnis verschieben
Bsp:
vboxmanage C:\User\Admin\VirtualBox VMs\Win7XP\HDD1.vdi FAIL
vboxmanage C:\User\Admin\VirtualBox_VMs\Win7XP\HDD1.vdi FAIL
vboxmanage C:\User\Admin\VirtualBoxVMs\PWin7X\HDD1.vdi PASS

2.) Gleiches gilt auch für
vboxmanage C:\User\Admin\VirtualBoxVMs\PWin7pro-Klone\HDD1.vdi FAIL

3.) Aufrufen einer verschobenen VDI
Verschiebt man eine VDI mittels Explorer/ Dateimanager so ist die VDI danach nicht mehr aufrufbar- VB stürzt ab!
Ausnahme: Man löscht vorher die Bezeichnung der VM im VBManager. Dann werden die Daten übernommen und die VM kann fehlerfrei gestartet werden.

4.) Dynamische Erweiterung
Trotz einer VDI von 45,9GB und einer tatsächlichen Nutzung von nur 24,92GB stößt die VDI trotz dynamischer Erweiterung an ihre Grenzen.
Fehlermeldung: Kein Speicherplatz auf C:\....
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBox Bug Fail 5.1.14r 112924

Post by socratis »

Dau4711 wrote:1) If you want to extend the VDI, you have to move the VDI into a named directory
What was the command that you used? EXACTLY!!!
Dau4711 wrote:3.) Call a shifted VDI
If you move a VDI using Explorer / Fileimanager so the VDI is then no longer callable- VB crashes!
Exception: You first delete the name of the VM in the VBManager. The data are then transferred without errors.
I need to know the exact sequence of events. VirtualBox does not crash, as far as I know, it gives an error when the medium (VDI) is not there, but it definitely does not crash.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dau4711

Post by Dau4711 »

socratis wrote:
Dau4711 wrote:3.) Call a shifted VDI
If you move a VDI using Explorer / Fileimanager so the VDI is then no longer callable- VB crashes!
Exception: You first delete the name of the VM in the VBManager. The data are then transferred without errors.
I need to know the exact sequence of events. VirtualBox does not crash, as far as I know, it gives an error when the medium (VDI) is not there, but it definitely does not crash.
1.) Install Win10Pro-x64
2.) Install VB 5.1.14r
3.) Make a VM Win7prowith VDI
4.) Open the new VM Win7pro and Install Win7x64
5.) Close the VM Win7pro
6.) Move the full C:\User\Admin\VirtualBox VMs\Win7pro\*.* to D:\VirtualBox VMs\Win7pro
7.) Double Click the *.VDI in D:\VirtualBox VM\Win7pro
8.) FAIL

Otherwise:
7.) Delete the VM Win7pro in VB Manger
8.) Double Click the *.VDI in D:\VirtualBox VM\Win7pro
9.) PASS
Last edited by Dau4711 on 7. Mar 2017, 00:41, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yes, that is expected. Every VDI has a Universal Unique Identifier (UUID). Copying the VDI and trying to "register" it in VirtualBox will fail because you already have another VDI with the same UUID already registered. BTW, in the future when you say "Error" or "Fail" or "Crashes", you should give the EXACT and FULL error message.

If you wanted to move the VM, you did it wrong. You just moved the VDI, the virtual hard drive of the VM, you didn't move any of the VM settings. For the proper way to do it, see: Moving a VM.

Or if you want a more "permanent" solution, you could change VirtualBox's preferences. VirtualBox Manager » Preferences » General » Default Machine Folder. Every new VM that you create will go in that selected folder.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.