Nach Update auf 5.1.10 wird USB-Device nicht nehr erkannt

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
bluescreen70

Nach Update auf 5.1.10 wird USB-Device nicht nehr erkannt

Post by bluescreen70 »

Hallo,

ich nutze VB in Version 5.1 seit einiger Zeit auf einem Windows-10-Rechner und habe WinXP als Gastsystem installiert. Einziger Zweck ist eigentlich der Betrieb eines USB-Devices, für das es keine 64bit-Treiber gibt. Es handelt sich um ein Prolific Technology Inc. USB-Serial Controller.

Bislang hat das alles wunderbar funktioniert, nur nach dem Update von 5.1.8 auf 5.1.10 wurde das Device nicht mehr erkannt, an keinem USB-Anschluss. Nach einem Downgrade auf 5.1.8 war es sofort wieder funktionsfähig.

Hat jemand Ähnliches beobachtet und ggf. eine Erklärung oder gar eine Lösung? Andere USB-Geräte habe ich leider unter 5.1.10 nicht ausprobiert.

Danke Ingolf
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nach Update auf 5.1.10 wird USB-Device nicht nehr erkannt

Post by socratis »

[color=#804040]Google translate[/color] wrote:Hello,

I use VB in version 5.1 for some time on a Windows 10 computer and have installed WinXP as a guest system. The only purpose is actually the operation of a USB device, for which there are no 64bit drivers. It is a Prolific Technology Inc. USB serial controller.

So far, everything has worked wonderfully, only after the update from 5.1.8 to 5.1.10, the device was no longer recognized, no USB port. After a downgrade to 5.1.8, it was immediately operational again.

Has anyone similar observed and possibly an explanation or even a solution? Other USB devices I have unfortunately under 5.1.10 not tried.

Thanks Ingolf
When you upgraded to 5.1.10, did you update the Extension Pack? The Extension Pack is responsible for USB2, USB3. It has to be the same version as VirtualBox.
[color=#804040]Google translate[/color] wrote:Wenn Sie ein Upgrade auf 5.1.10 durchgeführt haben, haben Sie das Extension Pack aktualisiert? Das Extension Pack ist verantwortlich für USB2, USB3. Es muss die gleiche Version wie VirtualBox sein.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bluescreen70

Post by bluescreen70 »

Yes, I did. And together with the downgrade of VB I had to downgrade the extension pack, too.

Ja, habe ich. Und zusammen mit dem Downgrade von VB musste ich auch ein Downgrade des Extension Pack machen.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

5.1.12 just came out, so you might want to try that one as well.

Open a Command Prompt window. Navigate to the VirtualBox installation directory (typically "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"). With the USB device plugged in and the VM not running, post the output of the following commands:
  • 
    VBoxManage list usbhost
    VBoxManage list usbfilters
    VBoxManage list extpacks
    VBoxManage showvminfo "Your_Virtual_Machine_Name"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bluescreen70

Post by bluescreen70 »

Hi Socratis,

just tried 5.1.12. Installation of the Extension Pack failed. Message said that the temporary directory... Something like that.

Returned to 5.1.8, wich still is running fine. So I think, I stick to that version as long as it works.

Thanks for your help anyhow.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Installation failing about the temporary directory sounds like the typical ACCESS_DENIED error when installing the ExtPack while an antivirus is running. Please remember to record the complete error message next time so I won't have to guess.

So, if you run an antivirus, please disable it temporarily and try again. Sticking with an older VirtualBox version and (worse) advising other people to do the same is not a solution, it's a workaround at its best...

Plus you didn't post the output of the diagnostics that I asked for.
bluescreen70

Post by bluescreen70 »

OK, following your hint, I gave 5.1.12 another try with antivirus disabled. Installation ran fine now and my USB-device was recognized imediately.

However, with that result I don't have enough motivation to install 5.1.10 again and look for the reason of my former problems. :wink:

So I would like to close that file and thank you very much for your help.

Merry Christmas, Socratis.

OK, deinem Hinweis folgend, habe ich es noch einmal mit 5.1.12 versucht, mit deaktivierten Antivirus. Die Installation verlief nun wunderbar und mein USB-Gerät wurde sofort erkannt.

Aber mit diesem Ergebnis habe ich nicht genug Motivation, 5.1.10 noch einmal zu installieren und nach den Gründen für meine früheren Probleme zu suchen. :wink:

Also möchte ich den Fall gern abschließen und danke dir sehr für deine Hilfe.

Fröhliche Weihnachten, Socratis.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great! So if 5.1.12 works, why go back to 5.1.10? No need to...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and everyone else!