64bit Windows als Gast auf OSX

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Hansjuerg

64bit Windows als Gast auf OSX

Post by Hansjuerg »

Hallo zusammen

Ich möchte gerne ein Windows (7,8.x oder 10) als Gast auf einem iMac (OSX neueste Version) als 64bit - Windows laufen lassen.

Ist dies grundsätzlich möglich, denn das installierte Windows in der VirtualBox zeigt mir immer eine 32bit - Version an.

Vielen Dank für Eure Hilfe.

Beste Grüsse
Hansjürg
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 64bit Windows als Gast auf OSX

Post by socratis »

From several translation sites:
the installed windows in the VirtualBox always shows me a 32bit version.
There is only one explanation for this. Either you selected the 32-bit template when you created the VM, or you chose the 32-bit installation media/option. There is absolutely nothing in the Mac OSX that prevents you to run 64-bit guests.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hansjuerg

Post by Hansjuerg »

Hi Socratis

Thanks for the quick replay. I agree but when I'm creating a new VM I selected 64bit. When I'm starting the download for an Windows (Microsoft page) so I have not the chance to select 32 or 64 bit (see attachment).

Do I need another 64bit download source ?

regards
Hansjuerg
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't attach anything, but you don't have to; you have to have the 64-bit installation medium, if you want a 64-bit guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hansjuerg

Post by Hansjuerg »

right....but where can I download an explicit 64 bit Windows version. On the MS page I do not have the chance to select a specific (32 or 64 bit) version ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well "the Microsoft page" does not help. There are thousands and thousands of Microsoft pages. Either tell me the product that you're trying to install (best option), or give me me a link to the page (obfuscate it since you're new), for example: www . microsoft . com / Windows10 / Download (note the spaces).
Hansjuerg

Post by Hansjuerg »

I was trying to download a test VM fro Microsoft:

developer . microsoft . com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/mac/

If its possible I prefer W10

Thanks for your help
Hansjuerg
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It seems you don't have a choice. 32-bits it is. And by the way that is NOT the installation media, it is a pre-built VM. Huge difference. You should try https://www.microsoft.com/el-gr/softwar ... ndows10ISO for the Win10 installation media. You'll have to do the installation yourself, like on a physical computer.

BTW, why do you need a 64-bit machine? Are you going to be using more than 4 GB of memory in the VM? Otherwise it doesn't make too much sense.
Hansjuerg

Post by Hansjuerg »

Hi

I downloaded an new ISO file (64bit) from the MS site and the newest version of VirtualBox. Now it's working without any special settings in VirtualBox.

Many thanks for your support.

Best regards
Hansjuerg