CloneVDI Werkzeug FAQ und Diskussionen

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Etepetete
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Slackware 14.2

Re: CloneVDI Werkzeug FAQ und Diskussionen

Post by Etepetete »

Es gibt eine aktualisierte Version von CloneVDI. Diese Version (2.05) enthält ein "Bug-Fix", die Unterstützung für VHD-Dateien war Fehlerhaft und wurde nun korrigiert. Wie immer, ist die neue Version hier herunterzuladen.
Etepetete

Post by Etepetete »

Vor wenigenTage hat mpack eine neue Version von CloneVDI herausgegeben. (Version 2.10) Kleine Korrekturen im Code wurden implementiert wie auch die Möglichkeit VMDK und VHD snapshots zu klonen. Diese Funktionalität ist allerdings experimentell und es wird empfohlen Sicherungskopien anzulegen bevor diese Funktion benutzt wird.
Die Oberfläche hat sich nicht geändert. Die Übersetzung der README-Datei ist im Gange. Ich hoffe, die Übersetzung bald ins Forum stellen zu können, so wie ich die Zeit dafür gefunden habe. (Viel los im Moment :? )
Die neue Version kann wie immer hier heruntergeladen werden.
Etepetete

Post by Etepetete »

Die Übersetzung der README-Datei der Version 2.10 ist fertig. (1. Beitrag in diesem Thread)
Wie immer, nehme ich Verbesserungsvorschläge und Korrekturen gerne an.
Viel Spaß beim lesen!
Kahuna-der-Sherman

Post by Kahuna-der-Sherman »

Ist die Version 2.10 wirklich noch aktuell?

Ist schliesslich 2 Jahre her seit der Post veröffentlicht wurde.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The VDI format has not changed in 6 years, so yes, CloneVDI 2.10 is still very relevant. I don't believe in releasing new versions every six months just to appear fashionable.
pkopp

Post by pkopp »

Hi,

ich habe folgendes Problem:

Musste meine VM auf eine externe Festplatte zumziehen. Dabei ist mein Config-File verloren gegangen.
Nun sitze ich hier mit meiner vdi und den zugehörigen Snapshots.
Ich wollte jetzt mit CloneVDI eine neue VDI mit aktuellstem Stand erzeugen. Leider geht das nicht, da ich wohl damals im Snapshot Menü in VB einen älteren Snapshot gelöscht habe.
Ich habe mittels Header-Infos rausgefunden, dass mein ältester vorhandener Snapshot nach einem Parent schreit, dass nicht mehr existiert.

Gibt es eine Lösung für das Problem? Ich hatte den Snapshot damals wie gesagt ganz nach Vorschrift über das VB Menü gemerged. :(

Danke und Gruß
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I will reply in English.

CloneVDI must be able to make a complete chain of linked files, from the selected snapshot back to the base VDI. If one of the intermediate elements is missing then nothing can be done except choose the newest snapshot which can make a complete chain.

As a very last resort you could use a hex editor to patch the UUID of the next oldest parent, to have the parent-UUID expected by the child. I.e. the grandparent would become the parent. The chances are that this would produce a clone with a corrupted filesystem - the extent of which is impossible to predict, but it may be better than nothing. The VDI stores its own 16 byte UUID at offset 392 (0x188) in the file. You would need to make these 16 bytes match that of the parentUUID link (offset 424 (0x1A8)) in the child VDI.
pkopp

Post by pkopp »

Thanks mpack.

So, I have to get the parent UUID, the one of the main VDI file, and paste this one into the latest snapshot, where atm the missing snapshot UUID stands? Am I right?

I have to choose HxD editor cause your linked one doesn't support such file sizes.
Would you please let me know how I can find the UUID in the editor? :(
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

pkopp wrote:So, I have to get the parent UUID, the one of the main VDI file, and paste this one into the latest snapshot, where atm the missing snapshot UUID stands? Am I right?
You can either patch the main UUID of the (new) parent, or the parent-UUID link in the child. I gave you the offsets of both, so you can choose. Naturally you need to end up so that the 16 byte sequence of one matches the other.

And it almost goes without saying: back up everything first, so you can go backwards if you need to.
pkopp wrote:I have to choose HxD editor cause your linked one doesn't support such file sizes.
The hex editor I linked you to can indeed support such large file sizes - I have used it many times for this purpose. You need to use "File|Open partially" for files that are too big to fit in memory. The header is in the first 4K of the file, so that's all you need to read.

If you choose a hex editor I'm not familiar with then you'll need to learn how to drive it yourself.
pkopp wrote:Would you please let me know how I can find the UUID in the editor? :(
I gave you the file offsets in my previous message. If you go to these offsets in the file then you should be able to see a UUID as reported by CloneVDI, except the byte order will be jumbled with respect to the conventional way of displaying it. No matter, you just need to make sure that the relevant 16 byte sequences match as discussed.

And by the way: don't get your hopes up. A backup was and remains the only sure cure. Here we are defeating the normal UUID linkage checks in the hope that the corruption will not be unrecoverable. That's the best we can do, and we don't know that it's enough.
pkopp

Post by pkopp »

Thanks! With hexedit, all works fine!

So, I do have a complete chain of snapshots now. But If I choose the latest Snapshop, CloneVDI still says it's a difference image and cannot proceed.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

All of the VDI files need to be in one folder, including the base VDI. If you already did that and you still get the error then the UUID linking has not been done correctly. You can verify this by following the UUID chain in CloneVDI.
pkopp

Post by pkopp »

All the files are in one folder and I hex edited the oldest snapshot with the initial parent vdi uuid.
I attached some screenshots.

You know where's my mistake?
Attachments
3_Snapshot1.PNG
3_Snapshot1.PNG (32.01 KiB) Viewed 119863 times
2_Snapshot2.PNG
2_Snapshot2.PNG (31.57 KiB) Viewed 119863 times
1_Snapshot3.PNG
1_Snapshot3.PNG (31.61 KiB) Viewed 119863 times
pkopp

Post by pkopp »

the initial vdi
Attachments
4_SnapshotInitial.PNG
4_SnapshotInitial.PNG (31.67 KiB) Viewed 119862 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The UUID links look correct. You placed the initial VDI in the same folder as the snapshots? Can you show me a picture of that folder? Because I know of no other reason for this failure.
pkopp

Post by pkopp »

Sure, here you are.
Attachments
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (24.68 KiB) Viewed 119857 times