Virtuelle Festplatte für Windows 10 vergrößert, aber Datenträgerverwaltung erkennt es nicht.

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Atalanttore

Virtuelle Festplatte für Windows 10 vergrößert, aber Datenträgerverwaltung erkennt es nicht.

Post by Atalanttore »

Hallo

Vor einiger Zeit schon habe ich eine virtuelle Maschine mit 50 GB in VirtualBox 6 erstellt und Windows 10 darin installiert. Mittlerweile habe ich VirtualBox 7 und die 50 GB sind zu klein geworden. Deshalb habe ich die Größe der virtuellen Festplatte auf über 100 GB erhöht. Der Speicherplatz auf der richtigen Festplatte gibt das locker her.

Nun wollte ich in der Datenträgerverwaltung von Windows 10 in der virtuellen Maschine auch die Partition vergrößern, aber die Datenträgerverwaltung erkennt den freien Speicher in der vergrößerten virtuellen Festplatte nicht. Nach wie vor erkennt die Datenträgerverwaltung nur die ursprünglichen 50 GB.
Datenträgerverwaltung.PNG
Datenträgerverwaltung.PNG (25.1 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
Ein Neustart von Windows 10 hat ebenso wenig etwas gebracht wie ein Klonen der virtuellen Maschine.

Habe ich etwas falsch gemacht?

Gruß
Atalanttore
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Virtuelle Festplatte für Windows 10 vergrößert, aber Datenträgerverwaltung erkennt es nicht.

Post by mpack »

Atalanttore wrote: Habe ich etwas falsch gemacht?
The usual mistake is to be using snapshots. If you use snapshots then you need to expand the latest snapshot, not the base disk. Better yet, eliminate all use of snapshots if you want to manipulate hard disks in this way.
Atalanttore

Re: Virtuelle Festplatte für Windows 10 vergrößert, aber Datenträgerverwaltung erkennt es nicht.

Post by Atalanttore »

I have never used snapshots in VirtualBox. I don't even know where to find the respective options in VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Please select the disk in the main Virtualbox window's Virtual Media Manager, then post a readable screenshot of the whole window, including the data on the bottom.

Also, please see How to Resize a Drive.
Atalanttore

Post by Atalanttore »

This is how it looks in VirtualBox for me.
VirtualBoxManager.png
VirtualBoxManager.png (102.29 KiB) Viewed 5226 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks for the screenshot. There is a + on the highlighted line. Please click it and screenshot what appears.
Atalanttore

Post by Atalanttore »

A file open dialog appeared after clicking on the + on the highlighted line.
+.png
+.png (45.85 KiB) Viewed 5205 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Hmmm, this one is a puzzle. The file selection box should open when clicking the large green + box over "Hinzufugen". If that is the + you clicked, I was referring to the + at the beginning of the highlighted purple "Windows 10.vdi". If you did click the purple-line +, I don't know what is wrong. I don't have the + on my drive list, and I'm not sure why the expanded space does not show as available in Disk Management in the VM. I was wondering if the + before "Windows 10.vdi" means there is a child drive off the "Windows 10.vdi" drive, which might prevent the drive from expanding. On my English Virtualbox, drives with "children" have arrows > or v in front of the name, not +.
Atalanttore

Post by Atalanttore »

I have clicked on the large green + box over "Hinzufügen" (Add).

The + at the beginning of the highlighted purple "Windows 10.vdi" is pretty hard to see, but now I clicked on it. There appears a new entry with a size of 50 GB.
Other+.png
Other+.png (117.06 KiB) Viewed 5110 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Your latest screenshot shows that you're indeed using a snapshot, and mpack's comment was and still is right on.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yep, I agree with fth0 & Mpack, we have a true bill. You'll see that the UUID-named child disk is still 50GB.

In fact, you do have a snapshot active. Do you see the "(Installiert u...)" after the VM name? That's a named active snapshot. The () isn't there when the VM has no snapshots

Please click on the Windows 10 VM tile, then the three line dots, then Snapshots. What does that screen show?
Atalanttore

Post by Atalanttore »

The screen displays this.
Snapshot.png
Snapshot.png (81.08 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Yep, that's a snapshot. Mpack's thoughts apply.
Atalanttore

Post by Atalanttore »

I never wanted snapshots, but seem to have some. How can snapshots be eliminated?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Back up the VM, by shutting don the VM from within the VM's OS. Then copy the entire VM folder, including any drive files that may have been out outside the VM folder. File-compare the copies to confirm backup integrity (web-search how to do this).

Then while the Snapshot "Installiert" is selected in the Snapshots view, click the Delete toolbar button. "Löschen".