New SVGA Drivers for older windows Versions

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Saam

New SVGA Drivers for older windows Versions

Post by Saam »

I recall a note saying that there are no workable SVGA drivers available anymore for Windows versions older that XP. Now part of the reasons why to install, maintain and use the VirtualBox is of course the usage of software, written for older WIN versions than XP. However, many if not most of such software packages require a colour setting of at least 256 whereas the current available graphics adapter driver offers only 16 colours the most as well as blocking the size of display to a higher resolution.(e.g. for win98SE, or WIN NT).
It would be a reasonable request to clean up the mess (given as reason for no longer offering the necessary SVGA drivers) and update the current available adapter options with the appropriate drivers for the older win versions, wouldn't it?
With regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: New SVGA Drivers for older windows Versions

Post by mpack »

The info I think you are referring to has been significantly garbled. All Windows versions from Windows 3.1 to Win11 can use SVGA and have access to 8bit/24bit/32bit colors. What they don't have access to is 2D/3D accelerated graphics, and the cutoff is Win7, not XP.

XP and Vista (and later of course) can still use the basic graphics drivers from the Guest Additions.

VirtualBox has never provided GAs for DOS based Windows (i.e. Win 3.1, Win9x). Those have to use something like the BearWindows VESA SVGA drivers in order to get more than the 16 colors of the native VGA drivers. See the tutorials section.
Saam wrote: It would be a reasonable request to clean up the mess (given as reason for no longer offering the necessary SVGA drivers) and update the current available adapter options with the appropriate drivers for the older win versions, wouldn't it?
Sounds very reasonable. What kind of salary are you offering the developers?