[Gelöst] Snapshot Ordner ändern

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Marc S.

[Gelöst] Snapshot Ordner ändern

Post by Marc S. »

Hallo liebe Gemeinde, ich suche nun schon seit Stunden nach einer funktionierenden Lösung, aber nichts geht.

Als ich mir die Virtualbox Version 5 installierte, habe ich extra darauf geachtet, dieses nicht auf der Systemfestplatte C: zu installieren. Leider musste ich feststellen, dass dennoch sogenannte Snapshots auf C: neben weiteren Dateien auf einer anderen Partition abgespeichert werden. Die Dateien auf meiner Systemfestplatte nehmen verdammt viel Speicherplatz ein und deshalb möchte ich den Speicherort der Snapshots ändern. Aber egal was ich auch versuche, es geht nicht. Hat jemand eine Idee?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Snaphot Ordner ändern

Post by mpack »

Answering in English.
Marc S. wrote: Als ich mir die Virtualbox Version 5 installierte, habe ich extra darauf geachtet, dieses nicht auf der Systemfestplatte C: zu installieren.
Why? The VirtualBox executables are not large, and the location of the executables have nothing to do with where your data will end up. That has not been an expected behaviour since DOS days.

Assuming that your concern is the space taken up by VMs, then let the VirtualBox program install where it wants to install, and then configure your data location preference in File|Preferences|General|Default Machine Folder. Obviously you'll need to find the German equivalent of that naming.

That option only affects VMs you create in future. If you have VMs that already exist and want to move them then read: Howto: Move a VM.
Marc S.

Re: Snapshot Ordner ändern

Post by Marc S. »

Hi Mpack,

thanks for answering quite soon. What you write is different from my installation. I have the main files stored on a different partition (F:, which is 158 GB) but there is also the folder "VirtualBox VMs" on C: with 139 GB. I tried to rename the folder on C: to see if it is effected by this change and yes it is. So it seems like VB needs space on two differnt places. There is no "Move" option in my version of VB just "Klone". Is it easier to update on Version 6?
Marc S.

Post by Marc S. »

Hi, it´s me again.

For everybody who is interested I found the solution. I just updated to version 6 and there appeared the "Move" (Verschieben) option when you rightclick on your virtual machine. Just define the new folder and the assistent moves everything to this folder. Ready!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

My earlier reply referred you to a FAQ which gave several methods of moving a VM, including that one!

However, I'm glad you found a solution. I will mark the topic appropriately.
Marc S.

Re: [Gelöst] Snapshot Ordner ändern

Post by Marc S. »

Hi Mpack,

yes, you are right. I only wanted to mention that it worked this way for the next ones who will have this question.

Thank you very much for your help and I wish you a Happy New Year!!!