Hilfe für Dummy Anwender von VM's

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Virtualmate

Hilfe für Dummy Anwender von VM's

Post by Virtualmate »

Moinsen!

Ich hatte eine Idee.
Und wollte diese umsetzen.
Nach drei Tagen Stöbern und Lesen im Netz dachte ich, für die Aufgabe gewappnet zu sein.
Ich habe daraufhin drei Optionen ausprobiert und KEINE war auch nur ansatzweise von Erfolg gekrönt.
Daher versuche ich es hier nochmals.
Sollte das auch nicht funzen, werde ich einen alten PC kaufen, ihn mit alter Hardware und Software bestücken und
es auf diese Weise versuchen.

Die Idee/die Aufgabe:

Ich möchte gerne alte Spiele mit deren Patches und Add-ons ohne Abstürze
und ohne die Bedrohung durch Malware/Viren durch die relativ ungesicherte Netzwerkverbindung
eines alten Betreibssystemes wieder spielen können.
Heißt konkret: Windows XP 32bit sowie alle Direct-X und sonstige Treiber, die man für die Installationsprogramme
benötigt auf einer virtuellen Maschine installieren, die auf einem Windows 7 Professional 64 bit-Rechner laufen sollte.
Ohne Fehlermeldungen und Bluescreens, wenn möglich.

Ich habe drei Varianten ausprobiert:
1.) Windows Virtual PC (XP Mode)
Installation hat reibungslos funktioniert, hatte auch den XP Modus auf dem 2. Bildschirm schon erfolgreich laufen.
Leider ließ sich keine Software installieren und nachdem ich dem Speicher von 512BK auf 1024KB hoch gestellt hatte,
bekam ich drei Bluescreens in Folge.
Deinstalliert und alles runtergeschmissen.

2.) Danach kam der VMWare standalone converter.
Ewig langer download und Einrichtung, allerdings ohne Erfolg.
Kam mit dem Ding gar nicht klar, deinstalliert und runtergeworfen.

3.) Nun habe ich die Virtual Box von Oracale am Start,
die durch verschiedene Foren als die beste und reifste Lösung angepriesen wurde.
Box runtergeladen und versucht eine VM analog dieses Videos einzurichten:

Hat auch alles super funktioniert (bis auf die Tatsache, dass die Version in dem Video noch eine
alte ist) aber beim Einrichten von XP 32 bit (als ISO Datei) bekam ich diesen Screen:
fehlervirtualbox.jpg
fehlervirtualbox.jpg (115.35 KiB) Viewed 6932 times
Daher meine Bitte:
Sollte hier jemand sein, der mich zeitnah und unkompliziert durch seine/ihre Hilfe
in die Lage versetzen kann, meine Ziele zu erreichen, oder der mir brauchbare, zielführende
und auf meinen Sachverhalt anwendbare Tutorials (text oder video) nennen kann, die mir weiterhelfen,
würde ich mich riesig freuen.
Wenn nicht, werde ich wie gesagt einen physischen Rechner mit alter Ausstattung kaufen.
Ich finde es unfassbar, dass es mir trotz aller modernen Technik und zahllosen vorhandenen Tools bislang nicht möglich ist,
ein steinaltes Betriebssystem und Pipifax-Spiele, die 15 Jahre und älter sind auf einem relativ modernen PC gangbar zu machen.

Vielen Dank für jede Hilfestellung schon mal vorab, ich weiß eure Zeitinvestition zu schätzen...

Gruß
Virtualmate
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Hilfe für Dummy Anwender von VM's

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox does work well for many PC uses, but it is not necessarily good for gaming. Your games may work, they may not. DirectX is about level 9 if I remember correctly and cannot be upgraded.

The guru meditation can be overcome if a zipped VM log is provided through the forum's Upload Attachment tab. FWIW Windows 7 hosts have been guru-meditating lately because 3rd-party antivirus has enabled hardware-virtualization-based scanning, which prevents Virtualbox from running. Disabling hardware-virtualization-based scanning in the 3rd-party antivirus lets Virtualbox run again, if that was the problem.

Just a thought, Have you tried running the games on the Windows 7 host? 7 runs many XP programs.

If you are running a PC that still has 7 on it, it might be possible to run XP and XP drivers on it, too, in a dual-boot setup. If XP drivers are still available for the hardware, I would switch out the PC's hard drive with another, install XP and drivers on it, then put the 7 drive back in and use the motherboard BIOS boot menu to control whether to boot from 7 or XP.
Virtualmate

Post by Virtualmate »

Howdy, scottgus1

Thanx for taking the time. 8)
DirectX is about level 9 if I remember correctly and cannot be upgraded.

Given the age of some of the games, I'd rather need to downgrade the Direct-X version... :lol:
Just a thought, Have you tried running the games on the Windows 7 host? 7 runs many XP programs.

Of course I have, but they won't run.
Some say it's because safety issues forced Win7 to prevent CD-checks (as a copy protection of old games) so you need illegal no-cd-cracks, but I have all these
games as purchased originals. We are talking about games from the 2000 to 2008 time frame. No chance they run, even in compatibility mode as an administrator.
Not a chance.
If you are running a PC that still has 7 on it, it might be possible to run XP and XP drivers on it, too, in a dual-boot setup. If XP drivers are still available for the hardware, I would switch out the PC's hard drive with another, install XP and drivers on it, then put the 7 drive back in and use the motherboard BIOS boot menu to control whether to boot from 7 or XP.
No, this option is not desirable.
I have a labtop which uses WIN 10.
Then I have two PC's running Win 7, mainly because I have a lot of testserver enviroments, development stuff and special created software add ons and workarounds
on one of them, so I might stick to this machine and it's OS for quite a while, simply because I have no clue how to migrate all the customized and tweaked stuff
to a more modern OS like WIn 10 or 11 without losing some of the effects and features, I put a lot of time and effort into.
But the second Win 7 PC who is far inferior in terms of hardware to the aforementioned one, could be just
in line to perform "format c:" and then receive the WIN XP as OS.
Since I have all patches, updates, datafiles and add ons of the respective games stored on stick and CD,
this PC wouldn't need an Internet connection - avoiding the risk of being exposed to malware/viruses.

So I would like to have it easy:
Running Virtual Box and playing some 5 games via the VM created by it.
Or, if impossible, get all the drivers of the second WIN7 PC together, fromat both HDD's and build it up again with a yet-to-be-purchased-WIN-XP-32-CD
and use this machine for ancient gameplay only...
It's up to you guys.
If you can make it work for me with a VM - fine!
If not, 1 day of work to convert the real machine into a real XP-machine for gaming purposes only.... :?

Thanx in advance and greetings from

Virtualmate
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

That all sounds good.

If you want to try Virtualbox, then start the guru-meditating VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
Virtualmate

Post by Virtualmate »

Well, I am open to new things and who knows, maybe I find some experience with Virtualbox or VM's in general rather useful
down the line with some more important issues at stake than just some laggy old games...

Here's the required log file...
Let's see, what you decipher out of it... :D

Greetings

Virtualmate
Attachments
XPMaschine-2022-05-26-18-08-29.zip
(47.13 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Virtualmate wrote:Let's see, what you decipher out of it...
Well, scottgus1 used his crystal ball to decipher it even beforehand: ;)
scottgus1 wrote:FWIW Windows 7 hosts have been guru-meditating lately because 3rd-party antivirus has enabled hardware-virtualization-based scanning, which prevents Virtualbox from running. Disabling hardware-virtualization-based scanning in the 3rd-party antivirus lets Virtualbox run again, if that was the problem.
Virtualmate

Post by Virtualmate »

Well, scottgus1 used his crystal ball to decipher it even beforehand: ;)
Well, thats great for him and of him but I still have no clue what's the issue...here. :?:

What/who is the 3rd party antivirus?
What kind of scanning is that and how/where can I turn it off?

And when all that is being taken care off, I should try again, installing the iso-file?

Or am I completely wrong? :?:
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

3rd-party antivirus means antivirus not provided by Microsoft. It may be Avast or AVG, etc. It's not Windows Defender.

Once you get that antivirus to stop using hardware virtualization (web-search for how), your Virtualbox should start running again, and your project can pick up where it left off.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the last two months, several users reported the same problem (Windows 7 host with VirtualBox Guru Meditation -4000 (VERR_VMX_VMXON_FAILED)), and most (if not all) could be attributed to the same cause (AVG/Avast Antivirus with hardware virtualization automatically enabled after an update on the host). The corresponding setting can be found in the AVG/Avast Troubleshooting menu.

If you think that you're encountering another problem, please provide a (zipped) VBoxHardening.log file.
Virtualmate

Post by Virtualmate »

Okay, Guys!

I found it!
Switched it off!
off.jpg
off.jpg (127.15 KiB) Viewed 6859 times
I will try again and report back to you when done...
So far thanx. 8)
Virtualmate

Post by Virtualmate »

Morning, Problemsolver-Battalion! :D

First and foremost: Thank you!
While the problem was an obvious and easy one for you to detect,
it caused major issues and headaches for me. :shock:
So I am very glad, you could help out. :wink:

After deselecting the box in the AVAST setup, the installation proceeded just fine.
And after some minor key issues for the iso and a little try and error action how to get
the cdrom still working when the game installation wanted me to insert CD 2 but the host acted as if the
inserted disk was for the host instead of the guest, I am now a happy owner of an XP 32bit service pack 3 virtual machine.
A running one that is. :mrgreen:
Finally I added that guest ad on with all the main drivers and additions.
Which also was a walk in the park.
But sadly one issue still remains, maybe you guys can help out here too.

After installing the game I get this message:
issues.jpg
issues.jpg (123.92 KiB) Viewed 6788 times
"hardware accelerator needed to run the program" :roll:

So please people, can anyone tell me how to implement this facet into the
otherwise stable running VM, so I can finally play the damn game? :cry:

Is an actual driver needed or just the simulation of a grahic card plus driver?
Where can I get it and how can I download it?
The in-game requirement check says I'm more than fine and the game should be running, but despite all that: it isn't so far! :roll:

Greetings from

Virtualmate
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Ah yes, sorry, I forgot about that. VirtualBox's 3D acceleration implementation was changed in 6.1. The new implementation was not backported to Windows Vista and earlier. So you can't get 3D acceleration on XP with 6.1.

You can roll back Virtualbox to 6.0, see the Old Builds link on Downloads, that branch still has the old implementation.

How to roll back:
Uninstall Guest Additions in the VM and shut down the VM completely, not save-state.
Uninstall the Extension Pack in the main Virtualbox window.
Uninstall Virtualbox. Your XP VM will remain.
Install Virtualbox 6.0.something. 6.0.14 was stable for a long time on the forum and I still use it on my production host. Latest 6.0.# could be good too.
If you need the Extension Pack, install that too matching the same version Virtualbox you installed.
Enable 2D and 3D acceleration in the VM's Display settings.
Switch the VM's video card to VboxVGA (note no S ).
Start the VM, let it recognize the new video card. Do not install Guest additions on this run, they have to be installed in safe mode.
Shut down the VM completely again.
Restart the XP VM in safe mode using the F8 key.
Install Guest Additions with 3D acceleration option enabled in safe mode.
Reboot the VM.
Hope that's good enough for the game.
Virtualmate

Post by Virtualmate »

Hey, scottgus!

Thanx for the clarification and the detailed suggestion. 8)
Lots of steps, where lots of things can go wrong.
So, I'm thinking of plain nuking this VM and this version of VBox.
I will download your suggested version and simply do the same stuff again - just with the older variety of VBox!
Like I stated before: more experience handling this software might help me down the road.

I will let you all know, whether the trick worked...

Greetings from
Virtualmate
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

If you went through the trouble of activating the VM< you'll have to do so again. Ans the MS folks might not let you.
Virtualmate

Post by Virtualmate »

Ok, Folks, this is it.
If you want to and can, I'm willing to listen to one final round of suggestions/advices in the
troubleshooting department.
Otherwise the virtual machine detour experiment has to be considered a failure.
A hefty one, considering the time, effort and knowledge power and the awful result I got out of it.
Don't be misled, that's no kock or pun on you guys.
But I still think it's a poor performance from modern day computing, that the casual user is unable
to emulate or simulate a stoneage operating system to the point to make a 18 year old software work on it.

Anyway:
I totally uninstalled the previous version of VBox and everything attached to it like the Extension pack.
Then I downloaded and installed the suggested version 6.0.14 (Oct 2019) and the Extension pack with the same version number.
Everything went smooth again.
Like you said, there is now an additional check box option called "activate 2D-Video-acceleration" which I certainly checked.
Other than that I selected the same options and settings like in the VM before.

I installed the game and received the go in terms of achieved requirements:
requirements.jpg
requirements.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 6579 times
But I get the same notification like before.
No chance to play the game.
Any last ideas how to solve this thing and finally get the sucker running?
If not, the VM experiment is fficially over and I will actually install the real XP on a real computer since virtualization just doesn't work! :(

Greetings from
Virtaulmate