Kein Mount eines Shared-Folders mehr möglich

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
rolfi

Re: Kein Mount eines Shared-Folders mehr möglich

Post by rolfi »

Thanks to all answers. In the meantime I tried different things. First I upgraded to 6.1.26. Then I avoided a double mounting as you, fth0, mentioned. No difference. I cannot mount any shared folders within my Linux guests anymore for my hosts Mac OS and Windows 10 (both with latest updates). Exception is my Manjaro Linux guest, shared folders are working there, a mounting is possible. Today I installed a new openSuse Linux with the guest additions on my Mac (no issues or events during install, I can resize the guest window), but I have the the same error:

Code: Select all

rolfi@localhost:~> sudo mount -t vboxsf transfer /home/rolfi/transfer
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: shared folder '/home/rolfi/transfer' was not found (check VM settings / spelling)
or

Code: Select all

rolfi@localhost:~> sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=100 transfer ~/transfer
[sudo] Passwort für root: 
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: shared folder '/home/rolfi/transfer' was not found (check VM settings / spelling)
The sub-directory in my openSuse guest exists of course. I did a "make transfer".
My shared folder settings in VirtualBox are:
  • Transient Folders
  • Folder Path: /Users/rolfi/transfer (this is the path on my Mac-Host)
  • Folder Name: transfer
  • _ Read only (not set)
  • _ Auto mount (not set)
  • Mount Point (not set, empty)
  • _ Make Permanent (not set)
Where is my mistake?
fth0 wrote: Because the VirtualBox Shared Folders are not a full-fledged folder sharing functionality, in contrast to network shared folders. For example, I don't know if and how VirtualBox handles file locking on the host OS side. In consequence, there could be a reason to prevent double mounting of a host folder on some host OSs. Another possibility would be that macOS changed its interface to folder sharing, and VirtualBox didn't adapt to it.
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

Here is my log.
Attachments
vblog.zip
(33.12 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

I tried it now myself, ran into the same problem, and found the background reason and two solutions:

If automatic mounting is configured, and no Mount point is configured, the folder is mounted as /mnt/sf_Folder Name.

If manual mounting is configured, and no Mount point is configured, the guest folder must be named sf_Folder Name.

In consequence, you can either configure Mount point to some dummy name, or name your guest folder sf_transfer.
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

fth0 wrote:If manual mounting is configured, and no Mount point is configured, the guest folder must be named sf_Folder Name.
per my comment in the 6.1.26 thread, this isn't *quite* correct (IME, at least) : you can still mount a folder with any name you like, but only once the guest has made it through some "intermediate" stage - i.e. there's some bug in a piece of deferred/lazy/etc GA code that causes NON-"sf_*" folder names to fail for a while until the GAs finish getting themselves sorted out.