virtualbox@ipad ??

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
dmischa
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: RHEL, Fedora, Windows 7

virtualbox@ipad ??

Post by dmischa »

anyone out there who knows if it is possible to run virtualbox on an ipad ?
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Re: virtualbox@ipad ??

Post by sej7278 »

no chance. wrong architecture, no memory, and apple don't have an app for it lol
dmischa

Post by dmischa »

so I've no reason to buy an ipad
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I dont need VBOX to search for having no reason to buy it :)
dmcgraw
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
Guest OSses: XP, Ubuntu 9.10

Post by dmcgraw »

Board index ‹ Deutschsprachige Anwender ‹ Allgemeine Diskussionen
Wow, I am in shock. I never knew that I could read German. :)
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Yes. In Germany we call it Denglisch :)

Instead of "Kaffee zum Mitnehmen" we drink african coffee ("Coffee To Go"). And instead of "Schlußverkauf" we said sale, which does not mean the same.
dmischa

Post by dmischa »

stefan.becker wrote:I dont need VBOX to search for having no reason to buy it :)
ist doch ein nettes Teil, und mit virtualbox könnte man damit auch etwas ernsthaftes anfangen
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Na ja, wenn ich mir so eine Kiste kaufen würde, um beliebige Programme auszuführen, dann sollte man eben was nehmen, was nicht von Apple ist.
peterjhon

Post by peterjhon »

There is any software we can use to run virtualbox on an ipad ?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What was wrong with the answer given above? iPads, like many tablets and smartphones, uses the ARM CPU core, and hence are incapable of running Intel x86 code.

I only know of two tablets capable of running VirtualBox: the Microsoft Surface Pro and the ASUS T100Tx, and in both cases you really wouldnt want to because tablets don't have the free resources to run VMs, plus you'd flatten the battery in no time.
posixivist

Post by posixivist »

What was wrong with the answer given above? iPads, like many tablets and smartphones, uses the ARM CPU core, and hence are incapable of running Intel x86 code
I know it's old but still I see some point to bring some fresh thoughts into this thread. It hasn't really been(mostly) a deal breaker to me not being able to run x86 code on ARM. I have been experimenting with ARM linux distros(it's not been VBox) on my Android phones for as long as I remember. It's crutchy, I know, running Ubuntu 20.x on my Poco F2 Pro for example(with X11) and connect to it via VNC from bigger screen. It can barely run XFCE/LXDE and cannot use almost any hardware(speakers, cameras, GPU etc). VNC latency even using LAN brings additional slowdown. And I would sacrifice speakers and other exotic stuff if this would at least run smoothly(my hope is to have Vbox grade virtualization of ARM on ARM + GPU forwarding) so I could run at least simple GUI like LXDE/XFCE/MATE and being able to use things I need like Python, Emacs, Perl, Octave, GCC and other dev stuff which is already compiled for ARM. Looks to me that Apple strives harder to work in this direction than broad Android market fueled mostly by enthusiasts.

I hope we are getting to major milestone when Apple M1 will bring Qcomm and others into laptop/tablet territory and things will start to change rapidly(some virt sw in 3-7 years). After all MacBook with M1 is already released. And amongst other users of it, there are IT guys who need virtualization as breathe. And now IPads also use M1. RAM is still lagging behind but the beefiest IPad packages start getting close to practicality plus they have relatively fast internal memory that can be used as swap.
So the question remains the same - any plans today for virtualbox@ipad?

PS JIC If you'd ask me why would I need that, then I really see a sense in setups like this for myself. I can elaborate further but it's already TLDR :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The discussion in this 2010 topic concerns an iPad, not an M1 MAC. The iPad in 2010 ran iOS (and basically still does), not MacOS(at that time called "OS X").

For a discussion of the M1 MAC, see the sticky topics in the MacOS Guests forum.

Topic locked.