Kein Mount eines Shared-Folders mehr möglich

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
rolfi

Kein Mount eines Shared-Folders mehr möglich

Post by rolfi »

Auf einem Mac OS Big Sur als Host und Xubuntu 20.04 als Gast ist kein Mount eines Shared-Folders mit der Version 6.1.22 möglich:

Code: Select all

rolfi@xubuntu-x2:~$ sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=$UID,gid=$(id -g) host $HOME/host
/sbin/mount.vboxsf: shared folder '/home/rolfi/host' was not found (check VM settings / spelling)
Und ja, der Name existiert. Der Fehler tritt nach dem Update von 6.1.18 auf 6.1.22 auf. Guest-Additions Installation verlief erfolgreich, was man auch an der Graphikausgabe sehen kann. Bis zum Update (vorher hatte ich 6.1.18) funktionierte alles monatelang problemlos.
Daraufhin habe ich auf einem Windows 10 Host einen neuen Xubuntu 20.04 Gast installiert (auch mit Version 6.1.22). Auch habe ich die Guest-Additions problemlos installieren können, was man an der Graphik-Ausgabe sehen kann. Aber ein mount des Shared-Folders funktioniert auch hier nicht. Selbe Fehlermeldung. Gibt es weitere Tipps?
Hinweis zu mir: ich verwende VB seit wahrscheinlich 10 Jahren mit verschiedenen Hosts und Guests. Ich bin kein Super-Experte, aber ein paar Dinge kenne ich schon. In diesem Fall komme ich allerdings nicht weiter.
Danke und Gruß
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Kein Mount eines Shared-Folders mehr möglich

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

Thanx for your answer. Here's the log-file.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(28.72 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

In the meantime I installed a Manjaro-Linux (latest edition) on my Windows 10 Host and it works. No issues with mounting a shared folder.
Manjaro-Linux on my Mac OS has also no issues with mounting shared folders.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The log confirms that the Guest Additions have been installed, and the log also reports the error:
00:02:05.480277 VMMDev: Guest Log: vboxsf: SHFL_FN_MAP_FOLDER failed for '/home/rolfi/host': share not found
I'm a bit puzzled by that path. You say you have a "Windows 10" host, so I would expect that share path to identify a windows folder, which is not what it looks like. It does not look like the guest mount point either.

I freely admit that I'm not a Linux expert, but perhaps one will come along.
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

Thank you for your answer. The share /home/rolfi/host is there. As I mentioned, I had no issues mounting shared folders with VB 6.1.18, but with 6.1.22 both on Xubuntu 20.04.2. It's working fine with the latest Manjaro Linux (although I'm not an expert in this distribution).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

rolfi wrote:Thank you for your answer. The share /home/rolfi/host is there.
Please explain that statement. "The share" you mention is neither a host path nor a share name (share names can't include the '/' character).

I won't comment on what is alleged to work elsewhere, I can only work with what I see in front of me.

Here is what I would expect to see involved here:

A Windows host path: e.g. C:\Rolfi\Shared (or whatever).
A Share name: e.g. SHARED
A Linux mount point: e.g. /root/media/sf_Shared

So no place anywhere for "/home/rolfi/host".
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

/home/rolfi/host is the path within the Linux guest where I want to mount the shared folder. Within the guest I do this: sudo mount -t vboxsf -o uid=$UID,gid=$(id -g) host $HOME/host
$HOME is /home/rolfi. host ist the name I've given in the shared folder window in VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, we're going to have to wait for someone with better knowledge of Linux than me to comment.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I also am no Linux or Mac guru, but I think the "/home/rolfi/host" shared folder is on the Mac host, if I read correctly.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VBox.log file wrote:
00:00:06.076600 SharedFolders host service: Adding host mapping
00:00:06.076612     Host path 'C:\Users\rolfi\Documents\Temp', map name 'host', writable, automount=true, automntpnt=h, create_symlinks=false, missing=false
[...]
00:02:05.480277 VMMDev: Guest Log: vboxsf: SHFL_FN_MAP_FOLDER failed for '/home/rolfi/host': share not found
In your Linux guest, do you have a /media/sf_host folder? ;)

You should decide first, if you want to mount automatically or manually. In the VM configuration, either change the Mount point to /home/rolfi/host, or disable Auto-mount. Does it work better then?

From my own experiments, I can tell that in my Linux Mint 20 guest on my macOS High Sierra host, automatically and manually mounting indeed works simultaneously, but it probably is no expected use case.

PS: The automntpnt value in the log message shows only the first character of the actual value, so I'd guess that you have configured the value host.
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

I use to mount the shared folders manually within the Linux guest (look at the mount statement).
For all others: I have both a Windows 10 host and a Mac OSX Big Sur host. Xubuntu 20.04 on both hosts does not work with shared folders anymore. The mentioned path /home/rolfi/host ist WITHIN the Xubuntu guest. This is the location I want to mount the shared folder. It worked until VB 6.1.18. After upgrading to VB 6.1.22 it does not work anymore.

Mounting a shared folder within a Manjaro Linux does work from both hosts. I'm using the same 'sudo mount' statement, as I'm doing it within the Xubuntu guests. So in the meantime I'm pretty sure it's a problem within Xubuntu, maybe a kernel problem or something like this. But I'm a user, not an expert.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

rolfi wrote:I use to mount the shared folders manually within the Linux guest (look at the mount statement).
I believe that I understood you quite well (including the mount statement). May I ask why you ignored my suggestion and questions?

Just in case you misunderstood what I wrote: You've configured the VM to automatically mount the shared folder, and then you're trying to mount the same shared folder a second time, but in a different location. Would you expect that to work, independent of the host OS?
rolfi

Post by rolfi »

Just in case you misunderstood what I wrote: You've configured the VM to automatically mount the shared folder, and then you're trying to mount the same shared folder a second time, but in a different location. Would you expect that to work, independent of the host OS?
My answer is: Why not? It worked all the time for me in the past. In Linux you can mount everything what you want. I used to do this in Xubuntu, Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian and OpenSUSE guests in the past with different types of hosts like Mac, Linux, Windows. I don't think the is the reason for my problems (but I'm not an expert as I mentioned). Remember, my new Manjaro-Linux does it anyway in the same manner.

A crazy thing what I'm testing now: One of my new Manjaro-Linux guests is on a Samsung T5 SSD external disk on a Windows 10 host and I'm mounting from the guest an external disk on my Mac while I'm conncted to the Windows host via remote desktop from my Mac. A little bit slow (but not too), and it works. But this is just for fun.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

rolfi wrote:It worked all the time for me in the past.
In general, this is no strong argument, because software bugs sometimes also allow unintended functionality, and fixing such a bug could also prevent the unintended functionality. Back to the issue at hand: ;)
rolfi wrote:Why not?
Because the VirtualBox Shared Folders are not a full-fledged folder sharing functionality, in contrast to network shared folders. For example, I don't know if and how VirtualBox handles file locking on the host OS side. In consequence, there could be a reason to prevent double mounting of a host folder on some host OSs. Another possibility would be that macOS changed its interface to folder sharing, and VirtualBox didn't adapt to it.