Host Cloudready - browse file system from Zorin VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
alphamattic

Host Cloudready - browse file system from Zorin VM

Post by alphamattic »

I am using the virtual box app in neverware cloudready chrome os. I have Zorin lite 15.2 running as a VM. From within Zorin how do I set up my network connections so that I can browse outside the guest vm file system. My network adapter for both my guest os and the host are in the same subnet and I can ping back and forth but I don't know what to type into the Zorin file manager in order to browse the host (neverware cloudready chrome os) file system. Also I can surf the internet just fine from inside the guest os using a bridged network adapter when I am at home and connected to wifi but when I connect via wireless hotspot on my phone, neverware will surf the internet just fine but zorin won't even with me setting up 4 adapters for bridged, nat, nat network and internal network.

thanks in advance for any and all help with which you can provide me
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Host Cloudready - browse file system from Zorin VM

Post by scottgus1 »

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures for descriptions of the network types Virtualbox provides.

To allow the guest OS to see the host PC's shared folders, use Bridged* or Host-Only. These are real complete Ethernet networks that you can use exactly as any physical network. What to type into the guest's file manager so the host's shared folders appear is the same as if the host and guest were two real computers networked together. (on Windows, I would type \\hostpcname inside the guest, or \\guestpcname inside the host. \\host.ip.add.ress and \\guest.ip.add.ress also work.) What you have to type in Zorin is a subject for a web-search, just keep in mind you're on a real network, so the solutions will be the same. Apparently Zorin is based on Linux, so standard Linux networking should suffice.

Also, be aware that you will only be able to see the shared folders, not the whole file system. No OS that I know of allows complete access to the whole file system over a network, unless you specifically share the root folder of the hard drive, which is usually considered a bad idea.

* If your physical computer is attached to a Wi-fi network, or is not attached to any network, then Bridged might/will not work, use Host-Only for shared folder access, and a separate NAT adapter for internet access. You should not need more than two active adapters to fully connect a typical guest, and if Bridged is working, only that Bridged adapter is needed, nothing else.
alphamattic

Re: Host Cloudready - browse file system from Zorin VM

Post by alphamattic »

appreciate the advice. haven't looked into sharing folder in neverware cloudready. I'll check that out. In other good news, I did get the guest os to be able to surf the internet. I had a static ip set in zorin. once I changed that to dhcp and set the promiscous mode to allow all the guest os was able to surf the web