virtualbox-6.1.6 VERR_SVM_IN_USE in OpenIndiana

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
asyropoulos

virtualbox-6.1.6 VERR_SVM_IN_USE in OpenIndiana

Post by asyropoulos »

Hello,

I have used VirtualBox successfully under Illumos/OpenIndiana (the open version of Solaris). However, today I upgraded my system and I
cannot run VirtualBox version 6.1.6 r137129. My system has ab AMD FX-6300 Six-core processor and AMD-V is enable. When the I try to run
either Windows XP or Windows 7 I get the following message:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7.

VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please close all other virtualization programs. (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

KVM is not installed in my system:

$ pkg list kvm

pkg list: no packages matching the following patterns are installed:
kvm

Also bhyve is not installed inthis system:

$ pkg list bhyve

pkg list: no packages matching the following patterns are installed:
bhyve

Since I have no idea what is going I thouggt someone here might be able to help fixing this problem.

Regards,

Apostolos

PS Setting export VBOX_HWVIRTEX_IGNORE_SVM_IN_USE=true on a terminal and running VBox from there does not solve the problem...
Attachments
VBox.log
(67.32 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: virtualbox-6.1.6 VERR_SVM_IN_USE in OpenIndiana

Post by mpack »

You are running VirtualBox 6.1.6. The fact that you have a mismatched extension pack (5.2.22) installed won't be helping. And just to really spice things up, you have the GAs from 6.0.6 in the drive.

Why are you trying to run XP in only 192MB RAM when you have 5026MB available on the host? Ditto on why you're only allowing 30MB of graphics RAM.

As for the VERR_SVM_IN_USE error, it seems to mean what it says: VT-x/AMD-v is in use.
00:00:01.717171 ERROR [COM]: aRC=NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap} aText={VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please close all other virtualization programs. (VERR_SVM_IN_USE)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-4054
You might want to read the related FAQ: FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.
asyropoulos

Post by asyropoulos »

The problem is that I am not running any virtualization program on the system! So how can
VT-x/AMD-v be in use?

I have updated the extension pack but I get the same behavior.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

asyropoulos wrote:So how can VT-x/AMD-v be in use?
That I can't tell you, read the FAQ.
asyropoulos

Post by asyropoulos »

I have read the FAQ and I can tell you that something is wrong with VirtualBox!
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

You should disable System > Processor > Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-V, since you are probably not trying to use nested virtualization in a Windows XP guest with 192 MB memory. This may or may not solve the problem you're experiencing.

Also, you should take care that VirtualBox, the VirtualBox Extension Pack and the VirtualBox Guest Additions have the same version. (I'm aware that you cannot update the Guest Additions when the VM doesn't run, though.)