Rdp windows 2016 is not connecting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
Olivia21

Rdp windows 2016 is not connecting

Post by Olivia21 »

Dear mate.
Do help as I am trying to establish a rdp connection on my dedicated server through virtualbox but rdp is not connecting showing error.
Please help.
Olivia21

Re: Rdp windows 2016 is not connecting

Post by Olivia21 »

Basically I am trying to give up to my friend who can run rdp on his windows which is on another system.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Rdp windows 2016 is not connecting

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox's Extension Pack must be installed to enable the Virtualbox RDP server. The EP version must match the Virtualbox version.

Then you must enable the RDP server in the guest Display settings. Change the default port number 3389 to some other valid unused port number (3389 is Windows' RDP port number). 3390, 3388, 4000, etc, whatever is valid and unused on your LAN.

To test the RDP on the host PC, enter one of these in the RDP client, replacing 'portnumber' with the actual digits of the port number you picked:

127.0.0.1:portnumber
localhost:portnumber

If you want someone on the LAN or the internet to RDP into your guest, open the 'portnumber' in your host's firewall. Then, on the LAN, other computers can access the guest via:

host.LAN.ip.address:portnumber

If you want someone on the internet to RDP into your guest, open the 'portnumber' in your router's firewall, and forward the desired port number to your host.LAN.ip.address. Then, on the internet, other computers can access the guest via:

your.public.ip.address:portnumber
your.ddns.name:portnumber

Opening a computer to an untrusted LAN or the internet requires special security measures. Set up good security on the RDP settings and test from the host or another trusted LAN computer before opening the port to the internet or the public LAN. Don't assume no one will hack in just because only you and your friend know about the connection. Your computer is being pen-tested all the time from the internet, or bad actors on a public LAN. If an unauthorized someone gets in, you'll have to nuke the whole thing from orbit, it would be the only way to be sure.